Chapter 48.1

Lu Huan knew in his heart that it wasn't good for both of them to stay awkward like this. If he insisted on staying like this, he would end up pushing everyone away one day.

At least, currently, he still had people by his side.

But the top priority at the moment was not to think about that, but to find the person who was said to be able to channel spirits.

However, with Lu Huan's current power, even if he heard about the existence of such a magician, it would be difficult to find their whereabouts in such a short period of time. He could no longer bear to search slowly. If he wanted to find it quicker, he had to make use of some strength.

There were many military officials that ran north and south in General Zhenyuan's barracks, and the general's house had eyes all over the country of Yan, which may help him find them as soon as possible.

With this in mind, after seeing Su Xi off that day, he went to General Zhenyuan's mansion again.

In recent days, General Zhenyuan had deliberately been cultivating Lu Huan, and every time he discussed matters with the Ministry of War, he would call over the boy.

But recently, General Zhenyuan had been having a bad headache.

The conscription, which had taken more than two months, was over and the battle was just around the corner. But in recent years, Yan's treasury was empty: manpower was available, but the treasury could not afford the food and fodder for the army.

General Zhenyuan also knew of the emperor's dilemma: there were both external and internal troubles. If this cost of food and fodder was to be taken out of the treasury, it was inevitable that this year's land taxation would be increased.

Yan's taxes were not light, and salt taxes had been levied, even since the cold winter of last year.

If the decree was issued again and it continued to increase, he was afraid it would intensify the riots and make people's livelihood worse.

And if these supplies were taken from the pockets of rich officials, it would inevitably trigger a number of forces in the capital.

Whatever decision made would affect the whole government: it really was a dilemma.

He rubbed his eyebrows, and said to Shang Shu, Lu Huan, and the other counsellors in the military camp: "Today, in the morning assembly, there was a quarrel in the golden hall. The people of the prime minister are afraid of having their interests touched, so they firmly disagreed with the fundraising from the multiple officials. Now that the prime minister's family is dominant, the emperor will inevitably favor the side of the crown prince. This old man is not afraid of continuing to argue with him, but I am afraid that if this drags on for a long time, the north will really be unstoppable, and the consequences will be unimaginable!"

Several counsellors were also worried.

Lu Huan pondered, "General, how long will the current supplies of the army last? Will it last until march?"

War in the north was very long, and there had not been a three-month long war since ancient times. This time, if they wanted to thoroughly invade the neighboring countries, the army would have to be stationed for at least a year and a half; this was why General Zhenyuan and other people had such a headache about the supplies.

Minister of War Shang Shu replied: "There are still some righteous commoners who send supplies, so counting those plus the original, in total, the supplies will last for about four months."

So that was, within four months, at least four more months of supplies had to be raised.

It was not a simple thing.