Chapter 39

While the cub did push-ups, Su Xi moved "A Hundred Wars and Wonders" to him and opened it on the first page, so he could read the book while doing his push-ups.

Many of the books exchanged from the mall, while obviously ancient, did not exist in the Yan Country. The cub had never seen them before, so the books seemed very novel to him.

He was a good and dedicated student, and after a while he was able to enter the detailed explanation of the military laws.

At the same time, outside of the screen, Su Xi charged her phone, put it on the table, opened her test papers and - shashasha- started doing her homework.

Su Xi's room was very quiet, with the exception of when Mother Su came in to deliver a cup of milk and Su Xi hurriedly used the test paper to cover her phone; there was no one to disturb her.

Lu Huan's Firewood Courtyard was also very quiet; only the sound of the wind could be heard.

Two people on opposite sides of the screen did the same thing, accompanying each other.

Su Xi drank her milk and looked at the cub on the screen, and couldn't help but smile. Her willpower was not that strong: if she had to answer the examination papers by herself, maybe, because she would feel very bored, she would swipe through Weibo from time to time.

But the cub was ambitious and patient, and he did things with concentration. She was engrossed; it was as if she had been inspired, and she would not feel too lonely with someone to accompany her while doing her homework.

From time to time, the cub on the screen would look up and stare into the empty air, as if to make sure she was still there.

She wouldn't wait for the cub to ask, Su Xi would rub his small head to show that she was still with him, and with a bit of relief showing on his face, he would hook the corners of his lips and bow his head to continue to read.

Lu Huan's slender fingertip fell on the page to turn it, but his mind could not help falling on the ghost beside him. He raised his eyes and looked at the bright yellow lantern swaying in the wind. The lantern's light, just like a warm river, fell not only on the page, but also on him.

All was quiet and still.

There was a peaceful smile in his eyes.

She was still here.

It seemed that for the first time, while he was reading at night in the cold and windy Firewood Courtyard, there was someone by his side.

Although he didn't know what she was doing in the house right now; maybe she was dozing on the bed, or was in a daze, or she may have opened a book to read about the world of ghosts-- her existence was enough comfort for him.

He never thought that one day there would be someone around him who would make the empty space in his heart no longer barren and cold, no longer miserable and rainy, but filled with peace and warmth.

At this moment, the ambiance was warm and mellow, which made people feel sentimentally attached. He wanted to make time stop here.

......

Since then, every other night the two would study this way, accompanying each other.

Su Xi brushed the papers, and the cub on the screen seemed to understand what the ghost wanted him to do; he started doing push-ups, lifting buckets, shooting arrows, and practicing swords, while reading the books given to him by the ghost.

He could remember things at a glance, and read books so fast that Su Xi had to exchange a lot for him from the mall.

After reading the more important ones, he moved on to construction engineering, water conservancy on the Tutian system (1), assessment of appointment and dismissal of officials, Imperial examination judicature, and many more belonging to the range of knowledge of the Ministry of War. Since he would dabble in it, he should know something about it. (2)