"Goodbye, for now.." (Macready X Reader)

(Guess it could be platonic...)

"So, this is it..isn't it?" The words felt more painful to hear yourself say than your voice portrayed. Of course, it was selfish to be sad to see him go considering the circumstances of his departure, however whenever your whole life was ripped away from you and you finally have something new..it's hard to let that thing go too no matter how good the reason nah be. "Think you have everything you need?"

The blue-eyed man, either unaware of the sadness in your countenance or choosing to ignore it, wistfully looked over once he fastened the final strap to hold down his luggage on the caravan. "Yeah, could always do with some extra caps but hey, the capital isn't too far." He more or less hummed, cracking his knuckles after he fixed his rifle strap upon his shoulder.

Turning his body to you completely, he gave a soft sigh. "Don't matter how far it is though, I'm just happy to go get Duncan." He finished with a smile. "You sure you don't want to tag along? I think the commonwealth can manage without you for a second."

His offer resonated within your mind. It wasn't the first time he proposed it, and this wasn't going to be the first time you denied it either. It would be a lie if you said the appeal of leaving this place behind wasn't very, very attractive- especially considering you'd be right at your companion's side. Alas, there was simply too much unfinished business to tend to for you to be free. Not to mention the others you considered friends..no, you couldn't leave. Certainly not.

"You know my answer, Mac. Can't leave things the way they are now.." Was your forlorn reply, a forced smile accenting your words once you spoke them.

He eyes you up and down after your response, seeming to hold his breath in the same fashion he would before taking a shot while sniping. Seeming to arrive to some unknown conclusion, his hands calmly seized the ratty green hat on his head before he handed it over to you. The merc didn't give much of a choice whether you wanted to receive it or not, seeing as he took only a second of hesitancy to simply fix it onto your head.

"Suit yourself, boss." He mused with a chuckle, the usage of his old nickname for you good enough to entice a giggle from you as well. "I'll be back again soon, you can't get rid of me that easy. Plus I think Duncan sort of wants to meet the person that saved his life, just sort of." With that he gave a playful punch to your shoulder before mounting the caravan.

"Believe it when I see it. Goodbye." "Not goodbye, just see you later." "Fine, see ya."

Watching him ride off wasn't much easier than your farewells, but waiting for the day he came back was the hardest part.