Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

I zip up my suitcase and toss a bottle of water, my hairbrush, and purse into the tote bag as well, stuffing the contents down as they threaten to spill out. I barely have my sneakers on before the text comes alerting me the driver is downstairs.

I let the driver know I'm on my way down. Haphazardly, I throw on a knitted black cap pulling the brim down so it partially covers my eyes, adding a mask to shield the bottom half of my face. As I put on my coat, I stuff my phone and charger into the pocket, and I hurry out the door locking it for the last time for the foreseeable future.

This is insane!

The driver introduces himself as Gi and swiftly places my suitcase in the trunk while I hurriedly climb into the backseat and fasten my seatbelt. I feel it tighten around me, my adrenaline pumping through my veins, and before I have a moment to collect my thoughts, we slip away before the sunrise paints the sky.

—-----------------

Text to Hobi: Hobi, I'm in the car Joon sent. Where am I going?

Hobi: Thank God, I couldn't breathe. I was so worried. I'm not sure.

Lily: You don't know?

Hobi: Not yet. Things are happening so fast. You might get to your location before I know.

Lily: OK

Hobi: Sweetheart, don't worry. We are going to keep you safe.

Lily: Thank you. I'm so sorry!

Hobi: Don't be sorry, you didn't do anything wrong!

Lily: Thanks, Lovie

Hobi: Always

I breathe in deeply and type my name into the search engine on my phone, and there it is. Fuzzy photos of Hobi and Jimin coming in and out of my building. They are blurry, but I can tell it's them. A fuzzy image of Yoongi with his hand outstretched helping me out of the car when my knee was still so tender, and a clear picture of me outside Hobi's apartment building with grocery bags in my hands. I shudder.

He was following me everywhere!

The captions are excruciating. "Lily Tremblay, American whore." "Lily Tremblay, why are members of BTS sneaking out of her apartment?" "Lily Tremblay, all-nighter with J-Hope of BTS. What's in the bags?"

The tears well up in my eyes, but I'm too shell-shocked to cry. Minjun has thrown the last punch, and I didn't even see it coming.

We drive for just over an hour as I stare blankly out the window. I feel like a zombie hardly acknowledging the signs indicating we've driven to Gangwon-do. We pull down a long gravel driveway; Gi kindly lets me know that it is a rental property and the property owner has left the keys under the mat. I'm shocked that Namjoon somehow, in the early morning hours, has managed to have someone rent a small property overlooking the water.

Just like when we were Namjooning. He's so thoughtful. I don't know how he pulled this off!

Gi kindly helps me with my suitcase while I find the keys. "Kim Namjoon has instructed me to go grocery shopping when the shops open. I will return and help bring in the bags so that you will be taken care of."

"Oh, I'm so sorry!"

"I'm paid very well. Don't worry; this is all part of my job. I have many roles, and I do them happily. Is there anything you would prefer?"

"No, I trust you. Anything is fine. Please, let me dig out my wallet."

He puts his hand up and shakes it back and forth. "No need, it's already taken care of," offering a gentle smile. I know my face reflects how overwhelmed I'm feeling. When Gi heads into town, I'm left to explore, although I find no joy in it.

The yard is small but private, looking over the water. I note the grounds are well kept, dotted only by the small white cottage as I glance around. A dense thicket of trees completely obstructs the view from the road, and I'm so thankful that Joon found me a property that makes me feel hidden.

Inside the cottage is a small kitchen, but it's well-appointed with the necessities. There is even a small countertop oven and a rice cooker provided. The kitchen opens into a medium-size living space with sliding doors that look out towards the water.

I find a full bathroom that's been well maintained as well and three small bedrooms equipped with beds made up with fresh linens. A door near the kitchen reveals a pantry space complete with a washing machine which is a pleasant surprise, along with a drying rack for my clothes. Whoever owns this property takes great pride in keeping it pristine, and I promise myself to do the same during my stay.

Gi returns later with a car packed to the brim with supplies and groceries. Everything from laundry detergent to fresh food and an endless supply of dry goods. As we quietly bring all the items into the small cottage, I am shocked.

How long do they expect me to stay here?

I try and offer Gi some lunch before he goes because I feel so bad he's done so much for me, but he kindly refuses, explaining he needs to be on his way. I watch as he drives up the driveway, the gravel grinding against the tires until his car disappears from sight.

I wander down to the water and just stare into the distance.

I'm all alone.