Debuts

January 8th, 2022, Granadilla de Abona

            It's time for my first game with Barcelona, I'm starting on the bench for obvious reasons. I've been training with the team for three days only, but Johnathan wanted me to be in the group. He said he could use me for some minutes. During the warmups, there is a weird vibe around us, the field is not really great, it's windy and the sun is blinding us a bit. As the game starts, we can feel we are missing Alexia, Jennifer and Ana. The play is slower, we struggle to go forward, and we are not really dangerous.

            At the 22nd minute, our opponents almost score on a counterattack. Johnathan gets mad and send Claudia, Asisat and I to the warmup. I think this might have woken us up because two minutes later, Frida has a good possibility to score but their goalkeeper saves them. But not for long, Patri gets the ball in midfield and sends Leila in deep, Leila crosses the ball, and the defender puts it in the net unfortunately for her. 1-0. 

            The next play looks almost the same with Patri sending Frida in deep, Frida crosses to Lieke who tries to shoot but it ends up on Caro, who takes the ball and scores. 2-0. We are finally in our game. But then, I see Aitana talking to Johnathan, and it doesn't look good.

"Vic!" Our coach yells. "Get back here, quick!"

            I run back to the bench and see Aitana crying on the bench. She seems to be hurt muscularly, that sucks. I take off my jacket and get ready to enter the pitch. The referee lets us do the substitution and I run to the midfield. Patri encourages me and Lieke hand checks me.

"Show them, Worldie." She tells me.

            For the first fifteen minutes, I get used to our way to play, I don't do crazy things and I stick to my role. I quickly feel comfortable, I work well with Patri and Ingrid, but I need to go forward faster. At half time, Johnathan takes time to explain me some things and I get more and more confident.

            When we come back to the second half, it doesn't take long for me to show my assist abilities as I find Frida in deep, who easily put the ball in the net with a powerful shot in the right bottom of the goal. Then, Lieke scores after a beautiful individual work. Five minutes after that, we are counterattacking with Lieke and Caro on each side of me, I give the ball to Caro, who find Lieke in the penalty area, 5-0.

            After that, we are dominating the game and Patri scores a beauty, right in the top corner. I jump on her, and Leila joins us. They hug and I wink at my friend. Patri doesn't stop here, at the 89th minute, she manages to steal a ball on the right and she sends Asisat in deep. Our forward is so fast and so powerful, she easily gets the ball and finishes as she is used to. A goal for her return.

            We all celebrate and happily end the game. Our way back home is joyful, and Alexia calls me while we are waiting for our plane.

"Babeeee!" She seems so happy. "You did it! Nice first game! We need to celebrate when I'm COVID free."

"We definitely need to do that!" I smile looking at my phone. "I'm missing you! It was hard without you in the first half."

"I saw that, but you guys played well in the second half!" She states. "You get along well with Patri, it was nice to see."

"Yes, it felt amazing to play with her, it'll be even better once you join us!" I say and she agrees. "I'm just very sad for Aitana."

"They were saying three weeks at least..." Alexia sighs. "It sucks, she'll miss the Supercopa last games..."

"We'll have to win for her, then." I smile and some girls join me on the screen.

"Hey girls!" Alexia waves at them.

"We did it! We won!" Leila screams in my ears. "Oops, sorry." She laughs seeing my hurt face.

"Come back soon, Ale." Patri sighs. "It's just harder without you."

"We'll be great, don't worry, I'll be back on Tuesday." Alexia smiles.

"Finally." Marta celebrates. "That armband is hard to wear." She winks playfully.

"Don't get to use to it." Alexia points at Marta jokingly.

"I won't." Our captain of the day winks back.

"Girls! Get ready for the plane, thank you." Our Team Manager shouts.

"We have to go, see you soon, my love." I send her a kiss.

"Be safe, love you." Alexia winks at the camera.

"Love you too." I smile and hang up.

"Ooooh, they have already said it, girls! I won!" Aitana yells in the airport.

"What is she talking about?" I ask to Leila.

"We made a bet while you were in self-isolation, it was whether or not you guys already said, "I love you" to each other." Leila explains.

"Who won?" I chuckle.

"Aitana, Mapi and I." She smirks and high fives me.

"Good job." I smile and we walk to the plane.