Barcelona Paradise

December 22nd, 2021, Barcelona

            I've finished my last training with Levante, I've said goodbye to all my teammates, and I now recognize I'm going to miss them really much. Sandie and Viola came with me to Barcelona to help me settle in my new apartment, which is close to Leila's apartment. After a complete day of moving in, we decide to go to Barcelona's game as neutral supporters, or almost.

            We don't play because Rayo Vallecano had some COVID cases, and we thought it could be great to surprise my new teammates. I've told Leila about it, of course, and Jennifer too so she could keep Alexia busy during the day.

            My friendship with Leila has grown really fast, we were strangers at the beginning of my first camp, and we are now almost like sisters. She knows me and my heart, and I know hers too.

            Same goes with Jennifer, she has become an older sister to me, she helped me find an apartment and she helps me a lot with Alexia. Talking about her, we are still not dating officially but it is just our way to not put words on our relationship, because clearly it does feel like we are a couple by now. During the month, some moments were really hard. Barcelona travelled a lot with the Champions League, and we couldn't see each other very much. She was frustrated, I was trying hard not to overthink everything.

Leila 💃🏾❤️: I've got your tickets. I gave them to Alba, Alexia's sister... she wanted to meet you... hope you don't mind... 🙄 Have a nice evening, see you right after the game, I love you ❤️

"Just great..." I sigh and sit on my couch.

"What's up?" Sandie wonders.

"I'm going to meet Alexia's sister. She has our tickets for the game." I explain.

"I'm sure she is going to love you, don't panic." Sandie sits next to me.

"I hope so, she is really important to Alexia, I don't want to mess this up." I admit.

"You'll do great." Viola smiles. "But only if you take a shower right now."

"True, let's get ready."

            We spend 30 minutes in the bathroom and then, we decide to go to the stadium. While we are waiting for Alba, some young girls recognize us, and come to take pictures with us.

"You should come play here." A little girl says while hugging me. "You are my favorite player."

"Am I?" I smile brightly.

"Yes, but I love Alexia too, she is great." She answers with stars in her eyes.

"I have to agree on that on." I wink the little girl and high five her. "Have a nice game."

"She didn't lie, you seem nice." A voice echoes behind me. "Alba, nice to finally meet the one who makes my sister smile that much."

"Victoria, nice to meet you too." I hug her quickly. "And this is Sandie and Viola."

"Levante players." She recognizes. "You guys did well against us."

"Thank you." Sandie smiles hugging Viola at the same time.

"Let's go, I don't want to miss Alexia's face when she sees you." Alba winks and leads us to the family section in the stadium. "You'll see, we are right above the tunnel, she can't miss you."

"Perfect." I smile and we sit.

            We talk for almost twenty minutes about everything, from families to football to holidays and Christmas celebration. Then, we hear the crowd getting excited and Alba looks at the tunnel.

"They are here." She gives me thumbs up.

            The Barcelona girls enter the pitch under the loud crowd approval. The first ones to spot me are Leila, Jennifer and Lieke. Then, seeing the three girls waving and sending kisses in the stand, Alexia turns around and her face lights up. A large grin appears on her face, and she becomes shy. I wink at her, and Alba high fives me, making Alexia blush harder. I think she just realized I've met her family for the first time.

            Lieke runs back to the beginning of the tunnel and asks me to come closer. I smile and do as she asked.

"She didn't know?" Lieke wonders.

"Nope, I wanted to surprise her." I chuckle back.

"I've never seen her like that before." My friend smiles. "You better finally act on it."

"Why do you think I am here?" I wiggle my eyebrows, and she laughs loudly. "Have a good game, love."

            She runs to the warmups zone, and I go back to my friends. I'm sitting between Alba and Sandie, Viola right next to her. We chitchat during the warmup and some fans come to see us. We take pictures and answer some questions with a bright smile.

"What's your predictions?" A girl asks.

"Barcelona wins." I state confidently. "Goals from Alexia, Lieke and I think Leila is going to score too."

"Taking risks, I see." Sandie jokes around. "Well, Barcelona will win, but Jennifer is going to score."

"What about Caro?" Viola asks away. "She is going to score."

"Are you friends with the Barcelona players?" The girl wonders shyly.

"You can say that." Sandie chuckles. "They might hate us after our win here, but we love to see them play."

            The girl seems happy with that and goes back to her parents. At the same time, I spot Alexia looking at me while she is drinking water. It's a short but intense moment as if everything else has suddenly disappeared.

"She likes you a lot." Alba whispers in my ear. "I've never seen her like that before."

"She told me she is scared to let someone in since your father's death..." I sadly inform her. "I hope I'll be worth opening up."

"She was already scared before. She is very introverted but losing Dad was a real hard moment and it made her lose the only person she's ever confided in..." Alba sighs. "Sometimes I wish she lets me be here for her the way she is for me..."

"Give her time, she knows about it, and she might change." I nod reassuringly.

"I like you; you seem to be different from other players. Your vibe is way calmer and smoother than the people who tried to have my sister before." Alba smiles. "I hope you'll do great together."

"I hope too."

            Fifteen minutes after that, the game starts, and Barcelona is quickly dominating the game. Alexia is scoring on a corner after a bad ball from the Madrid girl. Alexia runs to Jennifer; she clenches her fist and points at us. She is in beast mode, and it shows. Then, Caroline hits the post after a good ball from Alexia, but the ball hits the goalkeeper on her way out. 2-0.

            Not long after, Jennifer and Lieke manage to score thanks to two defensive mistakes. I watch Barcelona play, and the more it goes the more I see all the possibilities of play, the runs, the spaces created by some players... I can't wait to play with this team.