Chapter 60 - The Will-o-Wisp Turning Into Dust Only Needed The Blink of An Eye

Start from the beginning

Finally, he exhaled a slow breath. Seemingly possessed, he walked towards Shuanghe Yard.

Originally, after the matter was concluded, he did not want to seek out Wu Xingzi so simply. Furthermore, at this time, Wu Xingzi was definitely already asleep. Guan Shanjin could not bear to wake the person up from his sleep, but there was a peculiar restlessness within him, and he could not stop himself from wanting to see that old quail.

It took him no time to reach Shuanghe Yard. Unlike the tranquility of Wangshu Residence, the chirping of insects could be heard in Shuanghe Yard, and the fresh scent of the earth wafted around. Combined with the air smelling of the plants and trees, it was more soothing than any expensive incense or fragrance.

Guan Shanjin slowed his footsteps, heading to the vegetable plot first.

The vegetable plot, just like usual, was very neat and tidy. Vines of the plants twirled around the trestles accordingly, all luxuriant and green. Every leaf was tender and fresh, the stems all thick and strong. Some had blossomed, others had just bore fruit, and there were also some that were covered by lush leaves of various plants. They all looked very adorable and pleasant to the eye.

Unknowingly, a small smile appeared on Guan Shanjin’s face. It was as though he could see how joyfully and meticulously Wu Xingzi had taken care of these plants. That old fellow, even when tending to the plot, would still be dressed in his Confucian-scholar robe, only tucking the bottom of his robe into his belt. When preparing the soil for planting, he would remove his shoes and socks, rolling his pants up and revealing his slim and fair calves. A pair of pale feet would step upon the soil, the ten toes round and adorable, occasionally curling up, trying to get rid of the soil between the toes.

Guan Shanjin had happened to see this scene before. At that time, inside his chest, it felt as though a butterfly was flapping its wings rapidly, and he could not decipher exactly what sort of feeling this was. He remembered that he was entranced, watching Wu Xingzi farm busily. When Wu Xingzi bent over, his round, smooth buttocks would raise up, making his waist seem even more slender. Guan Shanjin knew how flexible this body was, how he could bend him in half with no pain or injuries.

A bead of sweat on Wu Xingzi’s forehead had slid down to the tip of his nose, before it fell. Mint and Osmanthus wanted to help him wipe his sweat away, but how could the old fellow allow them to do so! Smiling brightly, he refused their help, instead wiping his forehead himself with his sleeve. In the process, he left a few traces of dirt on his face, looking just like a dirty cat. Even though this was an old cat, it still made one extremely fond of it.

After that, when Wu Xingzi was done with the work, Guan Shanjin had helped him wash his feet. He cleaned every toe carefully, causing a blush to suffuse Wu Xingzi’s entire body.

Walking one round around the plot, Guan Shanjin had almost forgotten about all his troubles and dismay, including the fury and the stifling pressure on his chest previously. It was not because Lu Zezhi was stupid, rather it was himself who had not been able to see it all these years.

Unconsciously, Guan Shanjin made another round around the plot, before heading towards Wu Xingzi’s bedroom.

Upon pushing the door open, Wu Xingzi’s steady breathing could be heard. Guan Shanjin perked his ears, listening to it for some time. Deliberating over it again, in the end, he still could not resist the inexplicable longing welling up inside him. Guan Shanjin walked into the room with light steps, afraid that he would accidentally disturb Wu Xingzi’s sleep.

On the bed, Wu Xingzi was covered with a thin blanket. Lying on a soft pillow, his cheek was pushed a little out of shape. His lips were slightly apart, the corner of his mouth slightly wet. Occasionally, his mouth would move, as though he was chewing on something, then he would reveal a foolish smile. Wu Xingzi looked entirely like a fool, but this image only made Guan Shanjin’s heart soften so much that it was as though it could melt away.