Chapter 54 - Are We Still Giving This Gift?

Start from the beginning

Wu Xingzi dared not disturb Rancui, and he tiptoed over to a putuan 1 placed slightly further away and took a seat. Only when the melody faded away did he wake up from his intoxication. Exhaling gently, he gave Rancui a small smile.

“Manager Rancui is surprisingly talented. Even your skill at the qin is very good.”

“Adviser Wu is praising me too highly.” Rancui cupped his hands towards Wu Xingzi. Pushing the qin slightly away, he waved at one of his employees to bring over the tea and snacks.

“No no no, I’m entirely sincere. Manager Rancui is too modest.” Wu Xingzi looked at the qin, and the desire and fondness in his eyes could not be ignored.

Rancui did not point it out bluntly. He had long investigated all eighteen generations of Wu Xingzi and his family. He could be considered to have a decent understanding of Wu Xingzi’s father, and naturally knew why Wu Xingzi loved the qin. However, it was sometimes enough to know, and there was no need to spell everything out loud.

Smiling, Rancui accepted the compliment, and started chit chatting with Wu Xingzi.

“Ai.”

However, Wu Xingzi today seemed rather absent-minded. Ever so often, he would release a quiet sigh, and after a few times of that happening, Rancui could not help but ask.

“Adviser Wu, is something troubling you?” Rancui had a guess, but he hoped that he was wrong.

“Ahh… I’m sorry, I’ve seemed to be rude.” Wu Xingzi too noticed how absent-minded he was today. Looking embarrassed, he covered his mouth, bowing his head and apologising to Rancui.

“You haven’t been. I’m only worried that you’re feeling upset. After all, we’re considered friends. You can tell me anything, there’s no need to worry about any offense.” Rancui refilled Wu Xingzi’s teacup, his gentle smile so very genial that it could make anyone’s defences lower.

Wu Xingzi struggled for a bare moment, and finally sighed heavily. With a rare deep crease on his face, he asked Rancui, “In another three days, Mr. Lu would be married.”

“Yes, it’s quite a big event in Bastion City. I heard that Old Master Yue has decided to hold a banquet in the square in front of the magistrate’s office for three days and nights. The general has also approved of it, and will be temporarily withdrawing the curfew for three days. Mr. Lu sure has some very great backing.” Rancui laughed lightly, his charming pair of eyes watching Wu Xingzi unblinkingly.

He witnessed the corner of Wu Xingzi’s lips curl up in distress. It seemed as though he wanted to say something, only for him to swallow the words down when they were at the tip of his tongue. Wu Xingzi picked up a piece of pastry and shoved it in his mouth, uncaring if he would choke on it.

This time, things did not seem to be easily resolved. Rancui sighed internally.

The day after Mr. Lu had been resplendently escorted back to the General’s estate, when Wu Xingzi had come by to read the Pengornisseur, Rancui already noticed that Wu Xingzi had discovered his own feelings. He feared that Wu Xingzi’s feelings had already run deeply, and faint sadness could be seen suffusing his brows. It was only Wu Xingzi himself who still thought that he was concealing it very well.

Although Rancui had seen through many people, he could not guess exactly what was truly in the heart of this honest, frank adviser. Since he liked Guan Shanjin, why did he want to deliberately distance himself from him? If Wu Xingzi was worried about his social status and position, Rancui would like to tell Wu Xingzi to put his mind at ease. Guan Shanjin was too proud a person, and a person’s status had nothing to do with him liking them or not. He just did whatever he liked.