Chapter 48 - This Apparently Is A Trap Disguised As A Feast

Start from the beginning

The dishes arrived very quickly. Although there were only three people who could be seated around the table for the meal, the appetites of Hei’er and Wu Xingzi were very large. As such, Mint had considerately ordered food enough for ten people, and most of them were stir-fried. The heart, the liver, the stomach and the kidneys, nothing was missing from the table. There were both the front limbs and the back limbs, as well as the brains, the neck and the trotters. The dishes ranged from tender, rich, fatty, and chewy. As expected of a restaurant specialising in mutton, with a dozen of varied dishes, there was also a bowl of mutton soup. It was refreshing and not heavy-tasting at all, and the taste lingered in one’s mouth, making them wish for more.

Of course, this was from Wu Xingzi’s point of view. After the dishes were served, he was like a country bumpkin entering a big city. Entranced by the food, he could barely restrain himself. Wriggling his nose and taking a deep breath, filling his nose with the aroma, he picked up his bowl and buried himself in the food.

His table manners were actually rather refined. Wu Xingzi had always been rather cautious with his behaviour. Holding onto his bowl and chopsticks properly, he was not eating very quickly. However, the food was disappearing at a visible rate.

It forced Yue Mingzhu to have no time to speak, and gritting her teeth, she started eating.

This originally should have been a feast offered with ill intentions. At least, in the eyes of Yue Mingzhu, this definitely had to be a feast offered with ill intentions. She was supposed to take control of the situation, step by step forcing Wu Xingzi to achieve the objective that she had planned for today.

Unfortunately, everything had gone off track. Wu Xingzi had sincerely came for a meal, and he was eating too seriously, paying great attention to his food. Yue Mingzhu could not find an opportunity to speak, and with her anger yet to be appeased, she finished two bowls of rice. Only then did she finally gain Adviser Wu’s contented smile that appeared with his satisfied stomach.

An entire table filled with dishes, other than bones, nothing was left, including onions, ginger, and garlic. Even the gravy of the various dishes had been stirred into rice and eaten. Covering his mouth, Wu Xingzi gave a quiet burp, then apologised to the third young miss of the Yue family with embarrassment.

“It’s fine. Mr. Wu sure has a voracious appetite.” Yue Mingzhu looked at this skinny old thing from head to toe. Unable to understand where the food went, she was left speechless.

”Many thanks to Miss Yue today for the invite. I’m overwhelmed by the favour, and next time, please let me treat Miss Yue to a feast in return as well.” Mint had just secretly reported to Wu Xingzi the cost of this meal. As this was a restaurant located amongst the market streets, the price was very reasonable. As such, Wu Xingzi felt very much relieved.

If not, he really would have been too embarrassed to accept this meal. Thinking about it, how much did he eat, and how much did Miss Yue actually eat?

“Mr. Wu does not have to stand on courtesy, my objective today also wasn’t just to treat you to a meal.” Finally, she could now discuss what she was supposed to, and Yue Mingzhu exhaled in relief. Adjusting her seat, she turned grave. “Just now, along the stalls outside, I’m sure you heard many people discussing about you.”

She did not beat around the bush, and made Wu Xingzi freeze.

”This sort of gossip that people chatter about when they have nothing better to do, has completely nothing to do with our Yue family. Lu-gongzi too will not do something so low, and I have always been living out in the light, and never did anything to be ashamed about. I hope Mr. Wu is aware of this.” Yue Mingzhu did not need Wu Xingzi to respond. Her aim today was to clear the names of Mr. Lu and herself, and so she only insisted on presenting her own opinion.