32. Surprising News

Nathan sends me a mindlink telling me his has the tracker and warrior I requested ready and waiting for me down on the training grounds

Mate is wise, though human. Niko speak up. Why is that? I ask him.

Because you would not be able to sneak around like me. I rip Saul to shreds right there take care of it all now. Niko licks his lips in the back of my mind.

I shake my head and make my way to the training grounds. Crazy wolf. They don't like waiting and I can tell all of this is getting on his nerves. He sees Saul as the problem and is quick to end this, which is why I was not thinking clearly myself lately.

Walking out the door, I spot Nathan standing with Kyle and Bria.

Making my way to them, all three bow their heads.

"You wanted to speak with us Alpha." Kyle asks.

"Yes I need one warrior and one tracker for a task. You two are the best." I look to both for any signs of hesitation and pleased to find none.

"You both will be traveling to Water Bridge. We need intel from what is going on there. I need as detailed of a report that you two can get me. I want to know if there is rogues there roaming freely or you see anything that is off. Alpha Saul must not be capable of finding either of you, so be sure y'alls tracks are covered." I let the command seep out with every word.

I know I don't have to use my command. My pack is loyal to me, which I am thankful for, but there is a part of me that won't let this go to chance. There is just something nagging at me that they can never see me completely weak either.

Or if we have a traitor here. Niko adds.

Both nod their heads, not asking questions.

"Leave after dusk today. I need this report as fast as possible." With that I leave the training grounds.

Nathan follows in behind me. I make my way back to the office. Feels like I am just living there lately. I can't even remember the last time I was out on the training field work with my pack myself. John has been over seeing that recently, due to events.

Once inside the office, I close the door. Nathan takes a seat in the chair next to the desk.

"Greg and Cole are in the loop on this with sending people in." I inform him.

"I don't see how any of the three of you are even sleeping." Nathan rubs his hands down his face.

"It is not easy to sleep now with what Alastair brought to our attention. I slip out of bed so easily once Claire is asleep, I come here trying to figure something out."

"I still feel so lost. I mean I have thought about if it could be her. Thing is I was there the day the pack doctor done the blood work and there is no gene there that we all carry." Nathan leans back in the chair.

"Was this the old pack doctor or the one we have now?" I ask.

"The one that done it was a middle age guy. I don't remeber his name that was five years ago. It was not long after we got the one we have now." Nathan answers, looking at me.

"Fuck. That is the pack doctor that got slaughtered. It was the very first case I was involved in for Alpha training. Dad went and tried to figure it out, because no rogues entered the lands that day. It was never solved." My hands shake at the end when it all hits me over again.

Why in the hell did I not put this together previously! We sat right here in this office, when Claire and Nathan told me about her being checked out by the pack doctor.

"How could that have been possible? So it happened on pack grounds?" Nathan asks.

"Yeah it did. Matter of fact right there in the pack hospital. The cameras never picked it up. The last thing we seen on the video was all the nurses and other help leaving for the night and the doctor was standing at the counter writing. The video just went blank and next morning he was found." I feel sick saying it aloud.

"Someone here done it." Nathan's voice is barely above a whisper.

"Clearly, but dad could never pin anyone for it." Nodding my head as I talk.

Nathan is deathly quiet, but his eyes look far off. I can tell he is not linking anyone because his eyes are not glassed over.

"What is on your mind?" I ask him.

I feel more like a friend with him with it just being us in my office. I like that having an actual friend within the pack. Most people just want to be close to me because of my title.

Focus. Niko chides.

"That night after the news about Claire not having the gene." Nathan speaks up, but stops.

"Go on." I gently push him.

"It was a sombre night. I don't even remember mom cooking. I had to fix cereal for Claire and myself." He stops again to shake his head.

I wait patiently. He is remembering something.

"Our parents were in the living room arguing. I don't know the words that was said. Mom was crying most of the time. Dad though, he was mad." Nathan looks up to me.

"Was he mad about the news?" I ask.

"Yes, but there was something else. Dad changed after that night though, seemed distance. Mainly holed himself in the office after that day. I can't remember having a shift with him and running again together." Nathan stands suddenly, looking at the ground.

"A few night later, I came home late one night after a shift. My parents didn't realize I was there, dad was whisper yelling at mom to be quiet and not speak a word about anything. I did catch it was about Claire." He stops again to look at me.

"They found her as a baby outside of pack lands. Claire is not my biological sister. She was adopted." Nathan's eyes shoot wide open.

"Find your parents. We are going now!" I jump up from my chair.

A/N----

Hey Hey Guys!!!

Nathan finally thinking about the night things changed and boy did he remember something that is very important!

Who seen it coming with Claire being adopted?

Is Nathan's and Claire's parents been a little to goodie goodie?

Time for the dirt on their family to come to light! Stay tuned for what's to come....

Thank you again to all my lovely readers and all the support you guys have gave! Lots of love going out!!