26. Not Knowing

Sitting at the dining table

Sitting at the dining table. Tyler is at the head I am off to his left, with Nathan across from me. Alastair however sits right beside me.

He has not left my side since I seen him in the cells. Maybe he is grateful I help him get out of the cells? I have no other clue as to why he would be so close to me.

"Where are you from Alastair?" I ask, needing some form of talking going on. It is way to quiet in here, but at least he is not getting any death stares as everyone is being polite to him.

"Overseas. I bounce between a few places, Luna." His accent never ending.

I look over at Tyler, to see he is smirking. He knows how I feel about my title. Am I grateful? Yes, but I don't see a need for everyone to call me by it either.

"Please call me Claire. you are a guest here. We would like to help you with your search, just as Tyler said earlier." I smile over at Alastair.

"If you insist, I will call you by your name." He says, looking a little uneasy.

"I would appreciate you calling me by my name instead of title, but only if you are comfortable." I say.

Alastair looks over to Tyler, who just gives a gracious smile and small head nod. Letting a small praise of thanks to go up to the moon for Tyler approving it. It is sweet that Alastair made sure to get my mates permission first, though.

"Thank you for the help, that you both have offered. I have a feeling my search may not last much longer." He looks off.

I let Alastair ponder on his thoughts, while I look around the room. My eyes come across Hailey sitting at the far end of the table. That is unusual for her now to be that far down from us.

She bare has any food on her plate, but she is only fidgeting with it. She must feel my gaze as she looks up, her eyes have dark rings under them. She quickly pushes her chair back and scurries out of the room.

"Please excuse me." I say quickly, pushing out of my chair.

Running into the kitchen, I skid to a halt across the floor. Hailey is sitting at the counter top with her head in her hands. The sounds my shoes make on the floor, makes her look up. She gives me a smile chuckle, that is at least a bonus.

"Hey. What's been going on?" I ask, sitting next to her.

"Something just feels off, I guess. My wolf has been snippy with me lately. She got silent not long ago and is literally just buzzing around like she is some puppy." Hailey sniffs, her eyes starting to water.

Handing her a towel to wipe her eyes. "Have you let her out recently, for a run?"

"We go every morning early, but yesterday she would not move we just stood at the door. The same thing happened this morning. There is a scent that is so sweet, I can not place what it is. We have not made anything new for desserts, so I know it isn't that." She lets out a long sigh.

Now this I may be able to help. "Do you think your wolf can sense your mate? It is possible some of the younger wolves coming of age recently." I gentle ask.

Her head pops up and she stares at me. "I never thought about that! I am so tired. I can't focus on anything."

"Why don't you go lay down for a little bit? It may help you feel better. With your wolf seeming content currently, you may finally get some rest."

Hailey nods her head and leaves through the side door. I get up and go back to the table.

"Is everything okay Claire?" Tyler asks me, once I sit back down.

"Yes just tending to some things." I reply.

"Alastair would you join Claire and I in my office?" Tyler looks over at him.

Alastair quickly agrees.

"Good. Nathan I would like you be with us." Tyler looks over at him.

"Of course, Alpha." Nathan responds.

"Oh, Layla! Would you please help Fiona in the kitchen today? Hailey needs to have some time to herself today. I really don't want Fiona to do all the cooking by herself, and I am not sure if I will be able to come down and help." I look at her with a small smile.

"Already planned on it. " Layla says, giving me a wink.

I pick up my plate along with Tyler's. I go to grab Alastair's, but he holds his not letting go.

"I am more than happy to pull my weight around here. Please lead the way on where this goes." He stands holding his own plate.

Why is everyone taller than I am?

"Ok, sure. Right this way." I lead him through the doors to the kitchen.

I am quick to place the plates down and move over for him to sit his down. Taking a glance up to see if he is scooping out the place, but instead he is staring at me.

It is not a creepy stare. There is something there behind his eyes. He does not look at me how Tyler does. His face shows nothing, but those eyes are telling me everything, with the sadness and worry.

Can you stop staring at him now? Well, nice for the talking to just pop up at once again.

"You don't know." His words cause me to jump.

"Know what?" I voice barely above a whisper.

"Your mate is waiting for us. This is something that needs to be discussed in private." Alastair moves to the doors, but turns and looks at me.

Giving a small smile, I walk pass Alastair. Tyler is talking with Nathan when I step up to him. He stands quickly, looking at me with worry all over his face.

You okay? He mindlinks me. I nod barely.

"Shall we go to the office now?" I ask looking at Tyler, who stands instantly.

Tyler gazes at me, trying to figure out my rush probably. Although, Alastair is literally just a few steps behind me off to my right again.

I need to find out what he means by me not knowing.

A/N----

Hey Hey Guys!!!

Sooo does anyone think Hailey's mate is around?

Who is confused by Alastair's choice words to Claire? Or does it raise questions?

Next chapter is gonna be a fun one with some questions answered!