Chapter 18

The Calling was at noon so I stayed in bed, dozing off until 10. I took a shower and dressed in a simple flowy forest green dress that went to my knees with black heels.

I curled my hair, I had to look pretty or else Elaine will have a fight and so will the Capital. When I was done I saw Nate, James and my while family there. We all ate in silence, though me and Nate barely ate anything.

When we were done James left after hugging me. This was his last year. I hug Mom who cried, Nat was next, she was balling her eyes out. She had her name in now twice, though last year her name was in once and she got picked.

Nick hugged me next. Then I climbed in my father's arms who held me tight. For a few minutes I stayed there then I got up, taking Nate's hand, "I love you all." Then we leave.

Mike was waiting for us, he was sober now, hasn't had a drop of alcohol in 3 weeks, it made him more grumpy but it was for the best. We went to the front of the town square. Everyone was already here, watching us walk down the isle between the boys and girls. I went to the girls side, giving Nate a quick hug.

I stood there as they played the anthem. The mayor talked though I wasn't listening. "Ok ladies first!" Elaine said, this year her hair was gold, she was matching it with gold wired dress and heels.

She went to the girls Victor glass ball. One slip of paper was in it with my name. It took her a while to get it. When she did she visibly sighed and took a random one from the other ball. Coming back over to the microphone she opened my slip of paper. "Nova Brown!"

It still took my breath away as she said my name. I knew it was there but it was shocking. Slowly making my way to her on her left side she game my arm a squeeze.

"Ok and Katie Bell." A girl around 17 walked up slowly, I heard sobbing in the back assuming it was her mom. She had long auburn hair and was wearing a nice pair of jeans and a black shirt with sneakers.

"Ok now for the boys." Elaine made her way to the Victor Boys ball. Katie stood next to me, only a foot away. She took one slip from the ball of two and then another. Going to the microphone I heard her say, "Mike-" "I volunteer!!" Nate yelled.

I lost my balance, grabbing onto Katie, m hand went to my mouth, "O-ok." Katie put an arm around my waist as she held me up. "A-and Marvin Corbin." I watched as a man with black hair, maybe 23 made his way up.

"Ok will the tributes please shake hands." Katie let go of me. I shook Marvin's hand as Katie shook Nate's then I hugged Nate. We then were put in separate room. My family came in, hugging me as I tried to control my emotions.

They had to leave a few minutes later. James then came in and hugged me. We didn't say anything. When he left the door opened once again. Mr. Black and Tanya were there. I smile at then as they hugged me, surprising me.

"Here we found this." Mr. Black handed me the gold Mocking Jay pin. "Thank you." With that they left. A Keeper came in and brought me to the train. Marvin and Katie were crying, me and Nate having a straight face on.

I went into the sitting area where Elaine pulled me and Nate into a hug. I watched Mike grab a bottle of alcohol, he looked at me as I pulled away. I nod. Katie and Marvin looked like they were going to be sick.

"Hey it's alright." I tell them. "When we get to the Capital stylists will take you away, don't resist them. You all have different stylists ok?" We all nod. "So uh what's going to happen now?" Katie asks, I look at Nate. We sit down across from them.

"When we get to the Capital we will go to a building called the Training Center. There we will be for 5 days, the first 3 are training days. The last day the Gamers will pull us in one at a time and watch us do something, so you both need to find something you can do. Then the 4th day you will spend with Mike and Elaine to see how you will present yourself in the interviews. The day after the interviews is when the Game starts."