Chapter 9

My walk turns into a jog. I pass the tree that had the Trackers and I see the now whitened nest and shudder. When I get to the lake I duck under a bush. I see the huge pile stacked at least 20 feet high. Then there were spots where I saw were dug up and put back.

I tilt my head confused. Then I see the Carriers looking at something off in the distance. A second later I hear the 6 note song. Clide, Clover, Maxwell and Janny leave. Mason was standing guard still. "What is going on here?" I ask as I tilt my head.

Then I see the girl from 10. She hops I'm different places. But then falls to the ground and freezes like something was going to happen. Then she goes and picks up a pot, water, and some food up then hops on the exact same way. My eyes widen and I gasp.

"Mines." I say out loud. Mason turns around and looks to where the girl from 10 went and walks over. I move and run towards the pile. As his back was to me I grab another jacket, a pot, and a first aid kit.  Then I run back just as he looks behind him.

I look at the pile after putting the things in my bag. It was now a lot heavier. I then see a stack of, oranges in a sac around the top of the pile. "Perfect." I take out 5 arrows. Then I put one on my bow and aim for the sac of oranges. I take a deep breath and shoot. I barely get the sac open. "Dammit." I move forward out of the bushes a good 8 feet away. Mason had his back towards me investigating the pile of things.

I put in another arrow and move forward a bit. I was crouching as I walked slowly toward it then I shot it at the bottom and the oranges tumbled down. I out the arrows back in my stash. It felt like the world stopped as the oranges slowly fell and tumbled to the ground. Once it hit a certain spot I heard an explosion. Then 3 more, next thing I know I was airborne.

I fell on the ground on my back. There was a serious ringing in my ears. I was dizzy I couldn't move for a few minutes. I looked and saw Mason also flew back. It looked like he was groaning. I then saw the Carriers running out. They went to him, Clide and Maxwell looked pissed off. I slowly sat up and got dizzy. I turned to my hands and knees and slowly crawled back to the bush. Every few times I would stop because I got dizzy. Once I was behind he bushes though I fell back onto my back.

I had a serious pain in my leg. The ringing in my ears were now a lot quieter, but still there. I looked and saw a piece of plastic in my leg. I but down on my shirt and pulled it out. Tears came to my eyes but I wouldn't let them fall. With the bandage I got from the girl I killed I wrapped my leg up. Then I looked and saw Clide yelling at Mason. Next thing I know, Clide snapped Masons neck and he fell to the ground. I gasped quietly.

Then I heard the cannon. At least I could still hear. It wasn't as good as before but at least it was still there. It was getting dark so I just stayed there. But I did give the signal to the Mocking Jays so she knows I'm alive. And once it was dark the anthem played and I saw Mason up there. Then it went dark. Clover, Clide, Maxwell and Janny left to go hunt me since I wasn't up there.

It was freezing so I put the other jacket on. And before I knew it my body fell asleep with me wanting it to. When I woke.up I saw the Carriers sleeping next to each other while Janny was watching. I crawled deeper into the woods. Once I was far enough in it I ran to our spot. I saw the leaves on the ground but Raven wasn't here.

I did the signal and it didn't come back. I ran to the second fire and saw I was lit a while ago. I went back to the first and didn't see her either. Then I heard it. "Nova!! NOVA!!" I heard Raven scream. I started to run where her voice was. "Raven! RAVEN WHERE ARE YOU!!!" I didn't care if anyone heard me I needed to find her. "Nova!!" I was closer now and I ran faster and faster. Then I saw her tangled in a net in a meadow.

I ran over to her. "Hey I'm here. Where are the knives I gave you?" She pointed to the ground. I nod and grab my own and cu her down. She immediately hugs me. "I'm here, right here." I say. "Thank you." "Of course." "That was one hell of an explosion." She said I laughed "Your to young to swear." She laughs but it was cut off by her splattering blood on my face.

I looked up and saw the boy from 10 and a boy from 13, then behind then I saw Janny and Maxwell. Maxwell killed the boy from 10 and 13 while Janny came after me. I quickly shot her in the head. Boom. Then Boom. Boy from 10 dead. Boom.  Boy from 13 dead. Now it was me and Maxwell. I shot 3 arrows straight in a row and one got his leg, his abdomen and his throat. Boom.

I fall to my knees next to Raven's body. I hold her head in my lap, her body had curved around the knife in her abdomen. "Nova, sing, please." She says. Tears were falling down her face. "I'm scared. Sing."

(Listen to this song, Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars.)

I remember tears streaming down your face
When I said, "I'll never let you go."
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said, "Don't leave me here alone,"

I started to sing in a small, soft voice. She had a barely visible smile.

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight
Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Tears came to my eyes and I let them fall onto her cheek. Her shaky hand came up to my cheek, I leaned forward a little bit and tilted my head into her touch.

Don't you dare look out your window, darling.
Everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold on to this lullaby
Even when the music's gone
Gone

"Beautiful."

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Her eyes started to close but I didn't hear the cannon. I kept in the sob and continued to sing, she deserves to hear the last of this song.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
La, la (la, la)
La, la (la, la)
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
La, la (la, la)

Just close your eyes
You'll be alright
Come morning light,
You and I'll be safe and sound
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, oh, oh

I ended the last note and she opened her eyes, The Mocking Jay's picked up my song. "You have a beautiful voice. Promise me you won't stop singing." She whispered. "I love you Raven." She smiles softly and grabs my hand. "I love you to Nova. Tell my family that I loved them for me. It's not your fault." I nod, "Yes it is." She shakes her head.

Boom.

I wanted to scream and shout, I wanted the Capital to pay for what they did. I wanted them to feel what it was like to lose someone. Lose someone and a piece of their heart with it. I looked around angry. The bodies were still here since I was still here. I decided to rebel against the Capital. I got up and picked a bunch of flowers in the meadow.

There were pink, blue, red, orange, and white. I picked a variety and covered Raven's body with it. This showed that there is still beautiful things in something so dark, so hated. I left the knife in, but I grabbed her bag and put the things in it in my bag. She would want me to have it but to keep the thing that killed her in her.

I grabbed the 2 knives I gave her and I went over to the other dead bodies. I got my arrows, and knives. Then I grabbed some food and other things they had and put it in mine. I left their weapons with them. It was better if they were gone. I then walked back in the trees. The Mocking Jay's gave out a warning and then jets appeared and lifted the 4 bodies up and out. Once they were gone I slid down the tree.

They most likely didn't show me putting the flowers on, but they had to show her when they lifted her in the air. I looked up in the sky and put 3 fingers to my lips and pointed them up. "I'm sorry City 11." I said. I then turned around and started to walk away. The cameras were on me, I knew it. It was soon dark out so I climbed a tree dangerously high. I didn't know if it was weather from me wanting to get this day over with or if I wanted to see if I could climb high enough so this day would never exist.

Once I got settled in the anthem played and I saw Maxwell, Mason, Janny, The boy from 10, Raven and then the boy from 13. Then it was dark. During the anthem I let a few tears escape me. I curled into the sleeping bag and hid my face from the cameras. I then slowly fell asleep.

Sorry short chapter, I got teary eyed writing this chapter hope you all still enjoyed it though. See you all in the next chapter.