Chapter 2

I felt like the whole world stopped, all I could see was Nat walking towards the stadium with her hands behind her back and balled up into fists. I felt like I couldn't breath, next thing I knew I was running towards her, yelling her name. I was getting held back by 5 Keepers. "I volunteer!!!! I volunteer as tribute!" I shout as I get out of their hold and push her behind me.

"Uhm," She wasn't sure because no one has ever volunteered it's a death wish in City 12. "It doesn't matter! What does it matter!" The Mayor said I could hear the emotion in his voice, "No! Nova no!" I hear her yelling behind me then she was getting pulled off me as she screamed. I looked back and saw James, he had tears in his eyes.

"Up you go Nova." He said, his voice wavered, 'Keep her safe' I mouth and he nods and carries her back to my family I suppose. I then get forced to go up on the stage. I walk up the stairs and stand next to Elaine, "What's your name?" She asks, I clear my voice, "Uh, Nova Brown." She nods smiling, "I bet that was your sister. Don't want her stealing the show now do you?" She said smiling.

I ignore her and look at my family, James was with my family, they all were crying. She then goes to the boys and pulls out a slip and quickly reads it as she arrives to the microphone. "Nathaniel Black." I try and keep my face blank but it wavered for a minute. The cameras were all over me and him. He slowly walked up tot he stage.

"And here you have it! Our tributes from City 12!" She says clapping, but no one claps, instead they do something that shocks us both. They press three fingers to their lips and put it in the air, it started with just my family then James, then Nathaniel's family then everyone else, even the betters, who either don't care who gets picked or is grieving from past deaths.

I look at Nathaniel but then remember we are supposed to be enemies so I look away. Elaine was shocked but then quickly recovered. "Ok please shake hands." She says and steps back I turn towards him and it looked like he was trying to control his emotions. He reaches his hand out and I hesitantly shake it. Then we are ushered inside the Mayor's house. I am then left alone in a room, but soon enough my family arrives.

Nat jumps on my lap and hugs me. MY mother sits on my right side and Nick on my left while my father is in front of me. "Maybe you can win. Maybe you can!" Nat says I shake my head we all know my chances of survival are to low for that. "I can't." "Yes you can." My father says sternly, which took me back.

"You have been hunting since you were 6 years old, you know how to use a knife and a bow and arrow. You can do this." He says grabbing my hand. He had tears falling down his face. "Please Nova, please try. For me." Nat says, "For you I promise." She nods and hugs me. "Nova don't worry about us, ok?" My brother says I nod. They all hug me until they were forced out.

In a minute James was in and I hugged him without hesitating. "Nova you have to find a way to a bow and arrow. If they don't have one in the arena then you have to make one. They always have wood. A weak bow is better then no bow, or even then build yourself a knife, you know how to hunt, you know how to be quick and how to find food." I shake my head.

"This is different, they are humans, they can think! I don't think I can do this James. "Yes you can, and you will." The door opens, "I love you make sure they don't starve!" "I won't, I love you!" "I love you too!" Then they push him out. I sit on the couch trying to control my breathing. The door opens and I see my friend Mavis, I was surprised she wasn't crying, but then again we weren't really close.

She sits down and starts to talk. "They let you bring one think into the arena. To honor your City, wear this." She takes off her golden pin with a mocking jay in it. They are birds that can repeat any song verse and even a whole song if they think your voice is good enough. "I can't Mavis." "Yes you can and you will." She puts it on me and then grabs my hands. "Don't die." She says,