“My view is prettier.” he answered back.

“Riiiiiiiiggghhhttttt

“Riiiiiiiiggghhhttttt.”

“I wouldn’t even lie

“I wouldn’t even lie.”

“If you say so

“If you say so.” I quickly answered back.

“Are you two okay in here?” his mother got into the kitchen holding a few bowls. I went towards her to help.

“Yes mom, Jamie’s admiring your set up in the garden. I was admiring the pretty view from where I’m standing.”

“I’m so glad son that you got that side of me. Otherwise I’d wonder how Jamie will handle the reserved version of you.” his mom quipped.

“I think Dad and Jamie will get along. No offense mom, but she’ll be able to urge dad to talk later. Just watch out, I’d even make a bet with you.”

“Heeey! Did you just challenge me subtly?” I joined the exchange.

“I think my son just did.” his mother laughed at my expression.

We helped bring out some other dishes to the garden. There were a few and I wonder how we’re going to be able to finish these. I’m seated next to Sean in front of his parents. Like what they warned, his father can get quiet, the total opposite of his mother who’s outgoing.

They kept talking animatedly, Sean and his mother. His father just reacts whenever something is funny. I only join the conversation from time to time especially when it’s directed to me because I am a bit intimidated with Sean’s father, surprisingly, not of his mother. I mostly kept quiet whenever I could and I think he noticed.

“Jamie, would you like some more pasta?” he offered.

“Ah yes, thank you.” I handed him my plate and he put just enough.

“How’s your internship going?” I’m surprised that he’s the one making the conversation.

“I’m still adjusting to be honest. Totally different, we’re now mostly on our own so I want to make sure that my sessions are done well.” Sean and his mother got silent and listened to our conversation.

“I heard you’re more inclined to geriatrics, that’s interesting. What made you decide on that?”

“Yes sir. Basically my grandmother but I also understood how important it is to also give attention to helping adults as they age when their abilities start to deplete like memory, learning, and coordination.”

“The population is aging and that statistics will still get bigger, I’m pretty sure that’s a great choice of specialization you have decided on.”

His father continued talking about aging adults and what society can do for them. There were a few exchanges on the table and Sean’s mother has asked very compelling questions as well. The conversation went on which even included Sean’s field and how it could help aging adults too. I guess Sean’s father just wanted a deeper conversation.

“I’d love Jamie to assess me when I get older. I can get forgetful. We even forgot to cook rice earlier.” his father said.

That put a smile on Sean’s face. I know he’s happy at how this is going.

 I know he’s happy at how this is going