Virgin's blood

"The air is so dry." Teresa plopped herself next to me in the sand. "Don't you think?" She tilted her chin down, waiting for my response. It warmed my heart, I couldn't help but find her effort to make small talk with me endearing.

"Yeah, it's like all the moisture got sucked out of the air."

"It's completely out of the ordinary."

"It almost feels like we're on a different planet, you know?" I mentioned, taking a good look at our apocalyptic world.

"Hm, yeah." She chuckled softly, her hands folded together in her lap. The wind picked up her hair, causing the matted black strands to float around her head.

This was my best friend. She was my first friend. We were so close, but I couldn't remember it. All I knew is that we had a strong bond in the last. Whatever information I had of us, came only from my dreams.

I wondered if we'd had sleepovers when we were younger. I wondered if we had made forts and played hopscotch and ate snacks together. A putting hole gaped in me whenever I locked eyes with her. Whatever we'd had, was erased, left to be rebuilt in the present.

"I had a dream about you." I blurted, eyes tracing over each of her features.

"What?" She didn't catch what I'd said. So, I repeated it.

"I- Uh- I had a dream and you were in it."

"Oh,"

"More than one actually. I think they were memories."

A corner of her lip lifted, her fingers fidgeting. Teresa raised her eyes up to look at me, they flamed a striking blue. Her eyebrows raised themselves slightly. My heart raced, sweating as I waited for her reaction.

"So what you're saying is, that you dream of me?" Her lips blossomed into a smile, teeth teasing from her mouth. She was making a joke. I let out a long held breath, grateful that she didn't think it was weird.

"I guess so." I laughed, joining her light spirit. "The dreams were about us, when we were younger and-"

"We were friends." Teresa finished my sentence, a knowledgeable glint behind those blue fire eyes. "I know. You even used to call me Reese sometimes. I had lots of dreams like those when I was in my coma thing." She bit her lip before speaking. "All I want you to know is that I'm sorry for what I did and I'm glad that we have a fresh start again y/n. We were so close and had a lot of fun times before-"

"Hey, we're back!" Thomas yelled, surfacing to the top of the dune. He and Newt dragged an indiscernible makeshift wooden creation behind them. "We found some supplies in one of the abandoned buildings and whipped this up real quick."

Their invention had resulted in a hammock like chair. It had two pieces of wood parallel to one another and another piece horizontally set across the top. A durable cloth joined the sticks and a clumped up cylinder of sheets seated on the top piece of wood, served as a head rest.

"It was really more Tommy who made the thing." Newt's voice cracked, unable to hide his smitten expression. "I just foraged for the supplies."

"We did it together." Thomas insisted, allowing himself for his eyes to crinkle up for a moment. "But anyways, now we can carry Winston around. Let's get him up in here. Can you guys lend a hand?"