Being thirteen sucks

Thomas was the first to take watch, making sure the evil things wouldn't catch us. My brain ached for released, craving the relaxed feeling of sleep. Most of all, when I was under the rubble protecting us, my thoughts were stolen by him.

Gally in all senses. I wrapped my arms around myself, simulating his touch, though it wasn't close to the same. I imagined his smell, his breath in the crevice of my neck, his chest against my back, his lips, how he'd grumble in his sleep.

I wished he was here, beside me. He was always the best company I had ever kept. As much as I wanted to strangle him one moment, laugh a little, and kiss him the next. I loved him like he was still with me. I wondered what he'd say. I wondered how he'd protect me.

"I miss you." I whispered, reclining back to lay down. The stiff concrete turning into the soft bed in the treehouse.

"I know." Is what he'd say if he were here. If he was alive. If he could breathe. My eyes opened to dull reality. I wish I could live in fantasy land with him forever.

Where are you Gally? Where'd you go?

Y/n's Dream Sequence:

"What?" An elbow poked into me, an Ava Paige sat next to me at a lunch table. "What's wrong now y/n? You asked to see the subjects and here you are. What more could you want?"

I was sandwiched between her and Thomas, Teresa sat on the other side of him. More official scientists ate with us, keeping their professionalism even in their break.

We were on a floor higher than the subjects, staring down at them through a glass panel that spanned from across the wall. Except it seemed like the kids were the ones gawking up at us.

I took it from their behavior and Ava's language that it had been the first time they'd seen me sitting up with the scientists. Some of the young teens tilted their heads up at me, some gave the smallest smiles, others sneered.

I did a double take when I saw him. There he was, sitting at a table next to a redhead who'd lost his hyperactivity. Victor and Paul, two peas in a pod. Paul glared up at me, half a smirk slapped on his face. I took the hint and kept looking around.

My body froze up when I caught sight of Gally. It always tripped me up when I saw him in my dreams, or I guess they were old memories. He stared back, locking our eyes together. His friend smacked his arm, breaking his fixed look.

"I want to go down there." I uttered, gripping onto my chair.

"Please Bunny, they'd tear you apart limb from limb." Ava chuckled, sipping on her soda. "Did you see what one of the boys did to that guard last week?"

"What happened to him?"

"The man had scratches all along his arms, it was difficult to look at. He'll probably have scars for the rest of his life."

"Not him." I flitted my eyes across the cafeteria. "The subject."

"We sent him away." She clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "It's a shame, we could have used the subject for experimentation, but that's what the board agreed on."

"What does sent away mean? Where else would the kid go?"

"Subject." Ava corrected, leering at me. Her brows arching suspiciously.

"Right," I mumbled, eyes glued to the other kids. "Subject. He was just a subject."

"That's it." She cooed, combing through my scalp soothingly. A smile curling her lips up. "Alright Bunny, head on down then. It's your choice if you'd like to go." Perking up at her words, my eyes went wide with excitement. "Go on." I obliged, standing up from my chair.