Chuckleberry Finn

Despite my stance on staying together, Thomas went against it. He said that we could cover more ground, which had to be the stupidest fucking thing I'd ever heard. Minho went along with him and the rest of us were left to scatter into groups.

"Alright, everyone who doesn't want to get skinned alive by whatever the hell's in here, follow me." I declared, now wielding my own flashlight. "Come on pussies." When I turned around and started on my expedition I felt footsteps patter after me.

Victor, Chuck, Aris, and surprisingly Newt decided to join along. Flashing around the light seemed to annoy Newt the most.

"Y/n, maybe try aiming the light forward and not at my face." He shielded his face with his hands, squinting with a scrunched up face.

"Sorry." Rolling my eyes, I fixed the flashlights course to find table set up with chipped tea cups. Giving him a shit eating grin, I bounced my way over and took a seat next to the table. "Oh my God Newt, you're home! Fancy a cup of tea?" I mocked him with a British accent.

Chuck and Victor laughed at my impression, covering their mouths when they saw Newt's lack of amusement.

"Ugh." He turned to sift through bottles of water, ignoring me.

The other boy's attention only egged me on. I raised the cup in the air, imitating the boy once again.

"Oh jolly good day Sire." My voice ridiculously dropped to Newt's low pitch. "My name is Newt and I come from smack dab jolly good England." The cup slipped from my hand, crashing onto the floor. It's splintered pieces lay neglected as I continued with the bit. "Oh my! Why good heavens, all that brandy and rum isn't good for the soul. It warps my mind really, bloody hell, I've got to stop attending all these pubs!"

"I am not a drunk y/n, now slim it!" Newt struck with a fierce tone, whipping around to face me. "It's not funny." He mumbled, rubbing on his face. "You don't even sound like me."

I felt quite bad about his reaction. I didn't mean for him to not like it that much. I thought he'd think it was funny.

"She kind of does." Chuck piped up, smiling warmly at me. He'd been doing that a lot lately. Weird.

"Yeah, you're pretty good at that y/n." Victor chimed in, leaning against an abandoned wardrobe.

"No she doesn't." Newt glowered, angrily throwing clothes about. A sinking sensation filled my chest. I hoped they'd just leave it alone. It seemed like Newt was fed up with the teasing.

"Why are you acting so weird?" Chuck asked, crossing his arms. "You talk funny, so what. It's not bad or anything-"

"Yeah kind of like how you're fat." Newt lashed, stinging Chuck with his words. The younger boy's face fell, covering himself up more with his arms. "Why are you cross? It's not like it's bad or anything." He threw Chuck's remark back at him, jaw tight and locked.

"Newt!" I scolded, storming over and turning him away from Chuck. "Don't say that to him, jeez. I'm sorry I made fun of you, but don't take it out on him. He's just a little boy!" I hissed, making it known how serious I was. "I'm sorry, okay. I didn't mean anything by it." Newt's face softened. He rubbed the nape of his neck. "I'm sorry." Leaning against him playfully drew a smile from his face. "I'm an Ass. I know."

"Yea, you are an arse." He pushed back against me. "A stupid arse." Newt turned back around to Chuck. "Sorry, I didn't mean what I said. I was being an arse too."

"It's okay." Chuck forced out, his voice cracking. "I don't even care." Rubbing his nose, he went back to helping Victor look through dusty clothes.

There was nothing wrong with being fat. It wasn't a bad thing. I didn't care at all what Chuck looked like. He was my best friend and that was that.

The only problem was that Chuck did care. I'd seen him put on smiles whenever people would make remarks on his weight in the glade. I'd see how he'd wince whenever he'd hear insults in passing. That's why I was so quick to correct Newt.

I didn't like when people pointed out his weight because he didn't like it. I wished people could just leave it alone and treat him like everyone else.

"You know he fancies you, right?" Newt muttered, shaking me out of my daze.

"Victor? Yeah, it's pretty fucking obvious."

"No." He wrinkled his brow, gesturing toward Chuck. "Him." I audibly laughed at what Newt was suggesting.

"Who, Chuckleberry Finn over there?" Newt nodded. "You're crazy. We're just friends. He's my buddy. Please, that's just what everybody thinks when boys and girls are friends."

"I'm telling you, he fancies you." Newt looked me in my eye, his tone serious.

"He's a little boy. No, oh my God that's so weird." I stammered, throwing myself into sorting through random junk. "It's not a funny joke Newt."

"Fine. Don't believe me, but I'm always right about this klunk." He made a quick scissor motion. "Best to nip this sort of thing in the bud as soon as possible." Newt left me on the ground, stewing in my thoughts.

It wasn't possible. He was lying. Playing some sort of prank maybe. Chuck didn't- He wouldn't- It wasn't possible.

Chuck caught my gaze and waved at me, a smile lingering on his face, dimpling his cheeks. No. No, please, no. He was my person. My thing that I looked out for. The boy I took a bullet for. The one boy I never had to worry about. Please don't let that be gone.

Face burning in embarrassment, I got up, deciding to cool off and take a walk. I just needed to calm down, think rationally. So I slunk off into the darkness. As I strolled along the structure, I heard faint voices.

"Hey, Minho?"

"Yeah?"

"What's this over here?"

"Where?"

"Here."

Thomas and Minho were just around the corner. A delicious opportunity for a prank. I clicked off my light, waiting for them to get closer and closer and closer. Till they were just about to pass me. Then I jumped out, grabbing onto the closest body to mine.

Minho let out a terrified shriek, pushing me off of him. I slammed on to the floor, landing on the tail of my spine, too giddy to care about the pain.

"What the fuck?! Y/n?! Jesus Christ!" Minho barked, returning back to his macho attitude. "You're fucking crazy, Shuck-face! Jeez, I could've hit you. You alright?"

Laying in a heap on the floor, I rolled around in laughter, my chest heaving up and down.

"Y/n that's not funny." Thomas grumbled, recovering from my jumps scare.

"Then why am I laughing, Genius?" I cackled, Minho pulled me up from the floor with ease.

"You are one psycho bitch." He sighed, machinery catching his eye.

"So not funny. Are you gonna be like this the entire time we're here?" Thomas shook his head, shining his light into a part of the building cut off by a rusty chain link fence.

"Fine, sorry." I said through a tight lipped smirk, still satisfied by my joke no matter the lack of approval. "Just trying to add some levity to this shit. Guess I'll go fuck my self."

"This looks promising." Minho squinted at the machine he crouched next to, flipping a few switches. I couldn't help being curious about what they controlled.

"Hey what are you guys doing? Are you-"

"Hey Minho, wait!" Thomas flipped around, watching disaster unfold.