(She's) Just A Phase-Puma Blue

Y/n's Dream Sequence:

"Reese!" I called out through a linoleum hall, my voice wasn't as high as it had been in my past dreams. I must've been around thirteen here. "Reesa where are you? This isn't funny!"

"AHHH!" Teresa jumped out of a door framing the hallway. She tackled me, looping her arms around my neck. Almost knocking me over in the process. My soul practically left my body, breath shuddering out of my mouth.

"What is your issue, you freak!" I cried out as she spun around, spinning me with her. She was younger. Her face was rounder, Teresa's eyes sparkled. I'd never seen her so happy.

"I have an idea." She sang, interlacing her fingers with mine.

"What?" My insides bubbled with excitement, stomach fizzling with adrenaline. Something in me always knew Teresa always had the best ideas, even better than mine sometimes. It was too bad she invested all her time in learning. Her brain was a waste of talent.

"Come on." She giggled, pulling me down the hallway.

"Where are we going Reese? Where's Thomas?"

"Tom is training with Ava, she let me out early because I got the subject down quickly."

Next thing I knew, we were entering my room. The only place without security cameras. I guess they wanted me to have my privacy. Teresa flopped onto my bed, sinking into the comforter.

One thing I noticed from this dreamlike memory was my room. It was full of vibrant colors, like someone had let off a bomb filled with hues of the rainbow. Posters of celebrities and random prints plastered the walls, any uncovered space had been splashed with bright paint.

Painted on hand prints decorated the ceiling, how someone had managed to do that I had no idea. Eclectic objects littered the floor and dresser the room held. A television was hung on the wall facing my bed, perfect for my viewing pleasure.

I dove onto the bed next to Teresa, being hugged by the plethora of soft blankets that covered the mattress.

"So what's your big idea?" I asked breathlessly, propping myself up next to her. She blushed, laughing silly as she buried her forehead in my neck. "Why are you blushing?"

"I'm not blushing." She grinned.

"You're thinking about Thomas, aren't you?" I teased, pushing her dark hair out of her face. Revealing her eyes, I took in the color. Even when she was younger they remained the same devils water blue, sparked with a sapphire tone.

"Maybe." Her voice lilted, poking me in my chest. "So what? I see you staring at Gally all the time."

"Shush!" I shot forward, clamping a hand over her mouth. "You know you can't tell anyone about Gally. Not Ava, not Thomas, no one. They could kill him."

"I'm not going to tell y/n." Her voice was muffled from my hand, she unstuck it from her. "It's crazy but I won't tell."

"You won't?"

"I won't." She held out her pinkie, wrapping her's around mine. "I promise." Teresa unlatched our fingers, smiling at me with a rare mischief. She was never the troublemaker. I filled that role just fine.

"So, what's your idea?"

"Hmmm." She stalled, turning a pretty pink. Nervously, she fidgeted with her hands. "I want to kiss Tom."

"Really?!" I shoved her against the pillows, giddy over our secret talk. "When?! How're you gonna do it?"

"That's the thing." Teresa eyes faltered, her face becoming sheepish. "I don't know how."

"Oh." Realizing her problem, I warmed her with a sympathetic look. "I didn't even think about that. So, what are you gonna do then?"

"I was thinking." She paused, taking a deep breath before looking me in my eyes and saying. "I could practice with you?"

What?! My mind had been completely blown, eyes widened at her proposal. Teresa, one of the only friends I was permitted see, wanted to kiss me?!"

"Really?"

"I just figured that I could practice for Tom and you could practice for Gally." She explained, trying to relax me. "That way we'd know what to do if the time comes."

"Oh, okay." Considering her words carefully, I decided that she was sort of right. "That kinda makes sense."

"I mean it doesn't even count as kissing because it's just us, you know?" Just two best friends. Just Teresa and y/n. That was all.

"Yeah, okay. I'll do it." I agreed, nodding at her proposition.

"Okay then." She said slowly, taking both of my hands. Pulling me up to my knees, we were at eye level with one another. She was slightly taller, by a half inch. Thomas had measured us before. He was still an inch below the both of us. Teresa slid her hands up to my shoulders, increasing my awareness of the situation. "What now?"

I tilted my head, taking every feature of her's in. Her bottom lip was plumper than her top lip, it was something she'd always been insecure about. Right now I couldn't fathom a reason why.

Looking at her like this was weird. I shouldn't, she was my best friend. She was a girl. Girls aren't supposed to like it when other girls are this close to them. I know I had fantasized about famous people, female movie stars that made me feel the same way the guys did. But I always vowed to never look at Teresa that way, yet here I was.

Looking at Teresa.

"I dunno." I mumbled, tripping over my words. "I guess we just do what the people in the movies do."

"Okay." She smiled, reassuring me with her faint dimples. Unhurried, Teresa took her time. She inched closer and closer until the tips of our noses touched. Each second that passed my heart swelled, threatening to explode in it's racing rhythm. This was taking too long.

The prospect of kissing Teresa was torturous now that it was tangible. I feared her believing that I enjoyed it when we were done. Would she be weirded out? Would she hate me? Would she think I was a freak?

"Can't you just get it over with already?" I groused, frustrated at her speed. She made no movement.

Seizing the nape of her neck, I closed the gap. In a minuscule blur our lips were on each other. Mine kissing her's feverishly.

It was best to rip off the bandaid and have things be finished, I told myself. Denying any thoughts that tried to cloud my mind. Blocking off all emotion. She was probably thinking about Tom kissing her with her lids closed. I wasn't thinking about Gally.

I wondered how she could do that. How could she kiss someone and be numb to what was happening. Why couldn't I do that? Who crossed my wires and made me a freak? Why couldn't I be normal?

As I watched myself with Teresa, something in my mind fell into place. She was my first kiss. My very, very, first.

She pulled away, brushing back her black curtain of hair. She froze, looking me straight in the eyes.

"Find me y/n." One last smile softened her face, causing goosebumps to trail across my skin. "Get me out of here."

The dream started to blur, her voice sounding watery. Colors melted together, my eyes flicked around trying to save this. Trying to keep this with me.

No such luck.