4: the better son

•*'¨'*•.¸¸.•*'¨'*•.¸¸.•*'¨'*•.¸¸.•*

HAN JISUNG.

I tremble a little on the spot as my mother stands up from the couch, holding my breath as she walks past into the kitchen. I'm currently hidden on the other side of the wall that leads to the living room, and I intend to stay hidden until I can bring myself to face her.

Everyone in the Han household knows very well, that challenging Mrs. Han is pretty much a guaranteed death. Therefore, the fact that I'm currently cowering behind a wall like a mouse trying to hide from a cat is very much justified, I'd say.

Look, don't get the wrong impression from this - I love my mother and all...she's just not the most fun person to argue with. At this point I would rather be stuck in a room with moping Minho for twenty four hours, than have to argue with my mom.

But unfortunately, the only way to avoid the first option becoming a possibility is to speak up and try to win this debate...somehow.

Just as I'm hyping myself up to come out from behind the wall and face the task ahead of me, I manage to trip magnificently over my own damn feet, resulting in a rather dramatic collapse onto the living room floor.

My mother merely blinks, before returning her attention to the flashing television screen, the images reflecting back into her large, shimmering eyes - the same ones I inherited.

"Uh...Mom?" I start off, faltering at the glare she sends my way for interrupting her favorite drama.

"Sorry..." I mutter as she huffs, pausing the episode before folding her arms across her chest in distaste.

"What is it, Jisung?" She asks, not unkindly but the annoyance in her tone is still rather prominent.

"I...today...well- so today I..." I roll my eyes at my own nervousness. She's my mother, surely once she hears my story she'll agree with me... right?

"Today at the meeting I really tried my best. I went there with an open mind, just like you said, but I've come to the conclusion that I can't do it."

The look on my mother's face is enough to make me shrink back into myself, withering like a flower stranded in the desert. Immediate rage burns behind her eyes, though I know all too well she won't showcase it unless I manage to hit the wrong button.

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink the whole "agreeing with me" thing.

"You're joking, right? Han Jisung this better be a joke, otherwise I'm grabbing the wooden spoon. I will not simply let you drop out after getting cast for the lead role. Why did you even come up with this idea?"

I sigh in exasperation, sensing the heat of the argument is about to occur. Sure, we're only talking in rather mild mannered, calm tones as of now, but I know from experience just how fast my mother can switch, like a lightbulb flicking on and off.

"My co-star and I... have zero compatibility. I'm meaning friendship-wise obviously, I didn't go there looking for anything else. He was just so closed off and cold towards me, before I could even say a word. I'm telling you now mom - I can't work with him, he hates me." I explain, hoping the desperation in my voice is enough evidence for my mom to consider letting me drop out.