Dawn Breaks

"Do you understand now?" Artemis asked.

"Yes," Finn stared blankly into the night.

"Then, you will fulfil your end of the bargain,"

Artemis began to descend as he has accomplished what he needed to accomplish. Though he never really thought of sparing Finn's life, having a spy that would penetrate deep within the enemy would speed up his inevitable victory.

Why? Information, of course! Artemis has the opportunity to strike gold and shove it down the enemy's throats. They shall choke.

Artemis had to be careful, and so, he needed to ensure Finn's survival. To ensure his survival, he needs to have something that would motivate him to do his duty, and that motivation is already there. His daughter and quite possibly his wife, if he has a wife at least. I mean, Artemis does not know if his wife even loves him or if he loves her. If so, Artemis only needed to protect the daughter if the wife was of no value whatsoever.

A good plan!

But needs to be appropriately executed or else all of the benefits that may be reaped will be lost. There are so many risks and many buts; it sometimes gets tedious.

The two finally touch the solid ground and Finn was more than delighted to feel the solid earth under his feet.

"I thank you, your grace, for offering me such mercy, you may not be the demon the council makes you to be,"

Artemis stared at him and said.

"There are no demons, nor are there, there is only the will of an individual that decides how society will portray him as,"

Finn listened intently with Artemis was saying.

"For example, I invented something that would benefit billions but would kill millions, they would see you as someone evil, they only care of the negativity you bring and monopolize on the hate they create. They don't care if you save billions, they decide whether you are an angel or a demon,"

And Finn was silent again after hearing the words of Artemis. He could not clearly see it but he was certain that Artemis smirked a bit before returning to his blank and cold stare. Finn took the initiative and bowed low.

"I solemnly swear my allegiance to you, o wise one,"

Artemis closed his eyes and raised his hands.

"I accept," He announced.

Humans are so simple; it's a wonder how I am considered one, I am merely in a shell of a machine but who I far exceed a human. I only cooked what I said to this man through what Caitlyn educated me about human society before its eventual demise back on Earth. They are simple in a way that makes them unique, a form of structure so fragile yet so durable. This man has a family, something I think I had but no longer have, of course, if ever, they most likely died when humanity did.

It's heart-breaking, is that correct? Well, it's not like I feel anything similar to it but let us say I do, it's heart-breaking in a sense that I, a human still, lack what makes a human, a human. I only possess the physical properties but I lack everything else.

If I ever find who I was, what I was and how I was back then, maybe, just maybe, I can relate more to this man, Finn. For now, all of you are merely tools for my mission, pawns on a chessboard. I hope you do well, or else you'll get eaten by the better chess piece