Proving Loyalty

Two pairs of steps echoed in the corridor. The ray of lights from the sun decorated the corridor, passing through the windows on the right. The Queen and Izrael were walking through the corridor.

"Izrael, thank you very much for coming to my aid in such short notice"

"It is no bother, your highness. It is only my duty as the Great Warrior"

Evelyn's face was brimming with a smile, she was elegant in her white dress embroidered with silk and gemstones.

"As you can see, the Kingdom is currently in an internal power struggle. I'm sure you're involved in this"

The Great Warrior was surprised, it seemed like the queen suspected him. Nevertheless, he answered truthfully.

"Yes, your highness. But I am with you, as per the last wish of the late king"

"I see, my father used to tell me stories about you. When you saved the kingdom from the demonic onslaught a few decades back. But none of that matters now.."

"I don't understand your highness? What is it that you request?"

"I want you to prove your loyalty to me and the dynasty"

The Great Warrior noticed the queen's smile became a bit more sinister.

"How should I do this?" The Great Warrior was afraid of what the queen may order him to do. Be it in the interests of the kingdom or not, malevolent or benevolent, he cannot refuse.

"You have two missions, one is simple, the other.. not so much"

Izrael nodded.

"I want you to kill the three maids who will be delivering our meals when we get into the lobby. The three have been trying to poison me for a few days already, the Grand Mage's magic elixir are the only things keeping the poison from doing harm. It's annoying and needs to stop"

Izrael nodded again then proceeded to draw his sword. The queen's smile hasn't withered.

"Next, solidify my rule. Break the nobles apart, most of them can't die, we need their family influence to unite the kingdom, you handle the rest"

Izrael was relieved, what the queen wanted was the same as the king's final wish. The only difference was he needed to kill some maids.

The two then fell silent, their steps were the only sounds echoing once again through the corridor. They reached the lobby which was lavishly decorated with silk sheets and purple drapes. The banners of the Atira Dynasty were hung on the ceiling and walls. Several torches were lit to provide them with light while the windows were closed.

The two then seated on opposite couches and waited for the three maids. The two were silent for the duration of the wait, th princess had her eyes closed as she waited. Izrael had readied his sword and was ready to lunged at the door the moment te maids made their appearance.

"Also" The Queen suddenly spoke.

"I heard there may be a few guards with them now, it seems like they underestimated your fighting prowess, prove them wrong"

Izrael was confused about how the princess was getting the new information but he didn't question her further and waited. The wait was finally over, three knocks on the door indicated three persons were coming in.

The doors opened, three maids in their uniforms walked in while holding dishes containing the poisoned food and tea, Izrael noticed two shadows just beyond the door to the right. The queen then looked at Izrael and smiled.

At once, the Great Warrior lunged towards the maids, the maids let go of their dishes as Izrael sliced their throats with the swing of his sword. The three maids collapsed on the floor as they chocked on the blood that also gushed out of their throats.

Two guards then rushed into the room with their swords drawn, Izrael quickly used one of his fighting techniques. As the two traitorous guards ran towards Izrael, he moved his right leg behind his left and placed his sword in front of his body. The two guards then swung their swords from to right at Izrael at the same time. The swords passed through Izrael's body and the guards were shocked but as they were still swinging, the Izrael in-front of them was revealed to be an afterimage for the Great Warrior had just appeared behind them.

With a powerful swing of his sword, Izrael sliced the two guards in half from behind. The two guards immediately fell to the floor and their blood splattered all over. Izrael didn't display any sort of fatigue, he looked he was in top shape.

The Queen clapped, she was pleased of the Great Warrior's actions.

"But there is one thing you failed to do," The Queen said as she stood from the couch.

The Great Warrior turned around facing the queen

"Eh?"

The Queen's face was also splattered with the blood of the maids.

-----

"AlphaGlider-121 has reached maximum attitude, over"

[AlphaGlider-121 this is Artemis, proceed on mission objective]

"Affirmative"

A thunderous roar was heard all over the Sedanate Theocracy and continued to the kingdoms of Atira and Heldorion. The sound was even heard across the Empire and the Republic, prompting the states to scramble wyverns and mages in fears of an ancient dragon flying around.

A hovercraft was flying at close attitudes with speeds reaching Mach 4, it's mission: Map the surrounding areas 1000 kilometers from the main base. The hovercraft proceeded with its mission and struck an atmosphere of unease to those who heard the roaring sounds of its loud engines. Some even claimed to have seen something moving faster than they could see, but they were all dismissed.

But it didn't help the people to think, something was lurking above the clouds. Something, that would descend onto their lands.

The hovercraft's mission lasted for 20 minutes as it accurately mapped the surrounding areas and took photographs of the settlements and geological features present inside 1000km area around the base.

"I guess, it's a start" Artemis leaned back on his chair, smiling.