• 5 ex boyfriend •

"How did you find my number," I ask my ex-boyfriend.

He smiles. "It took me time. I'm sorry I've made you wait for so long."

I step back again when he tries to approach me. "Don't."

"Come on, it's been weeks, I miss you."

I don't stir. I can't let him reach me.

He sighs when he sees that I have zero reaction. "Look, let's forget about all this shall we?"

I can't help but let a laugh escape. "You're insane." I laugh. How can he say this like that, as if it was nothing- like he hadn't taken advantage of me- like he hadn't broken my heart.

This doesn't please him but he puts on a smile again. "I bought you a gift." He hands me a pretty silver-coloured heart-shaped necklace.

I bit hard my lip knowing what it is

I bit hard my lip knowing what it is. It's a picture projection pendant- like I always wanted. I don't move, trying to hold back my tears.

"I love you so much, Dana. I know how much this pendant means to you. Please accept my gift."

"This is the problem," I whisper. He stops from bringing it closer to my neck.

"What?"

"You know how much it means." This is how he baited me after each fight or mistake he made. Each gift was a bit more precious each time and he was so nice giving them to me.

This necklace has got pictures of my mom and me before she passed away inside. These photos are what I've got left from her and I wanted them always with me. My fists are clenched and my nails are piercing the skin of my palm.

I look back into his eyes, tears in the corner of mine, fighting against myself not to accept the gift and giving up, letting myself fall into his thorny arms as I've always had. I never got the courage to refuse him. We've spent years together and I truly loved him despite his toxic personality, he can be so funny and gentle. I'm not going to lie saying I didn't miss his laugh and his scent the past few weeks.

I take another step back. "You said you wanted to talk. But I've got nothing to say."

Seeing that I'm refusing him, his eyes change, this is exactly what I have always been scared of. "Accept this gift, Dana. Look, you're crying, you're hurting yourself by refusing."

Yes, he may be right, I want that necklace really bad, but it will mean I will stay trapped with him again. A necklace against a chance of freedom and happiness. The choice sounds easy but my brain is actually blurring. I can not think straight. "If you have nothing more to say, I'll get going."

I'm starting to turn on my heels when I'm violently put back into my position.

He grabs my wrists and squeezes them hard. His eyes are dark, possessed by anger. He hates not having control over things. "You can't leave, we love each other."