3: rattlesnake

A week had past since I had arrived and I had been woken up to the lovely serenade of horns and whistles. I groaned and rolled out of bed not wanting to do anything. I grabbed the overalls and changed behind that crook and came out with it wrapped around my waist. I tiredly followed everyone out wanting to die. It was already hot out and it's 4 in the morning.

Mr. Sir opens a cabinet labeled library to reveal a bunch of shovels. X-ray shoves past and grabs his one with red tape on it. It was shorter so he didn't have to dig as long. I wish.

"C'mon loon. Don't wanna be late to digging now do we." Zigzag says wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Oh of course not. It's what I look forward too the most." I say and he chuckles as we all walk to empty spaces. I was in a decent mood today so I was cracking jokes left and right but I noticed Barfbag seemed off. He wasn't as go lucky as usual.

I took zigzags arm off of me and walked towards the boy wrapping my arm around my shoulder messing up his hair.

"What's a matter barfbag." I say to the slightly taller boy beside me who puts on a fake smile.

"Nothings wrong loon. I'm just tired of this whole digging thing you know." He says blocking his eyes from the rising sun.

"You only gotta few more months of your sentence barf. Push through it all right if you need to talk you can talk to me. I've got more brains then these fools." I say and a couple of them say hey as they smack my head.

"Yeah. Thanks Loon." He says patting my back before I get lifted in the air over someone's shoulder. I knew it was zigzag from the already dusty hair flying in my face.

"You gotta get a hole beside me Cmon." He says running to two empty spaces and plopping me down on the dirt. We all start digging in some of the worst heat this week but it sounds like all year by what the boys are saying.

"Let me tell you why were burning up back here man. It's global warming." Zigzag says out of the blue making me laugh quietly as I continue to dig I was about 4 feet down and 5 wide so it wouldn't be much more to go.

"The hole on the ozone is directly above my head." Armpit adds.

"The holes in your head man." I say making the rest of the boys laugh while armpit throws some dirt at me. As I grab for my canteen I see barfbag walking towards the rattlesnake with one shoe in his hand.

"Barfbag!" I yell jumping out of my hole. Everyone else starts yelling too once I say the snake about to bit him I tackled him to the ground. But before I could help him more I heard him yelling.

All of the boys jump from the holes and run over. I quickly rip off a piece of my shirts sleeve and die it around the middle of his foot as tightly as possible to track where the venom goes by the swelling.

"Someone get Mom! Hurry up! Go!" I yell pushing whoever's leg was right beside me.

"I'm sorry guys. I'm so sorry loon." He says grabbing my shoulders hugging me.

"It's alright barfbag. Lay down. Your okay, your okay." I say grabbing my canteen pouring some on his foot then into his mouth. I notice his eyes start closing so I slap his cheek lightly.

"Hey don't close your eyes on me barf. Cmon look at me boy." He opens his eyes a bit before closing them completely. I sighed and kissed his forehead as I begin running my hands through his hair as mom runs over.

"Back to work boys and girl!" He picks him up and puts him in Mr. Sirs truck as they speed off.

"Bye Barfbag." I sigh quietly as the boys making there way back to there holes.

"He'll be alright Andy." Zigzag says hugging me from behind. He was the only one who called me Andy and I liked it but he only did it when it was just us two.

"C'mon let's finish up." He says walking me back to our holes as he jumps in his and I go into mine and sit down in it. I mean maybe I could've helped him. I sighed and went back to digging again being the last one or at least I thought.

"You almost done over there. Bells gonna ring soon." I hear zigzags Texas accent say.

"I just got a bit left. You don't have to wait for me." I say watching as he stands up from behind the pile of dirt and goes into my hole. He sticks his shovel into the dirt and digs it in a bit.

"You just gotta long shovel. Cmon." He says smiling holding his hand out for me. I giggle and grab his hand as he pulls me up.

"I'll race ya." I say smiling he raises an eyebrow and chokes up on his shovel as I do the same.

"1,2!" I yell and run without saying 3 or go.

"You cheater!" He yells presumably running after me. Once I was about to make it to the shovel library I feel an arm wrap around my waist and I'm spun around and dropped in the ground watching as zigzag puts his shovel into the cabinet.

"You are a cheater." I say getting up and putting mine in as well.

"You cheated first darlin." He says smiling as we both walk into the rec room