(Chapter 148) Wishful Fear

"Hanagan." Mrs. Black called from the well worn kitchen table as she read over the latest newsletter coming from the capital. "Make my eggs sunny side up."

"What's the occasion?" The butler asked, knowing she only requested her eggs unscrambled when she was in a particularly good mood.

Mrs. Black grinned while reviewing her carefully curated list.

"That girl," She said, reading over her handiwork proudly. "She might be the only person in this world that can save my son," Cecilia proclaimed before her smile lowered from an afterthought. "If he doesn't destroy it for himself."

Mrs. Black resumed sipping her morning tea while Hanagan failed to hide the concern on his face.

Lucy meandered into the kitchen not too long after dressed in one of her nicer shirt and dress combos. Though nothing she owned was designed as a matching set, she was still able to pair the miscellaneous assortment together for a pretty but albeit plain outfit. And at least it was warm when the mornings had become so cold.

"Lucy." Mrs. Black sang.

"Good morning Mrs. Black," Lucy said, with her hands politely crossed behind her back.

"And good morning to you dear," Mrs. Black beamed back. "Would you like some tea or biscuits or anything?" Not waiting for an answer Cecilia used her powers to levitate a basket of lemon poppy and blueberry biscuits to Lucy while Hanagin poured her tea.

"Oh, thank you," Lucy said, sitting down before her set plate and taking a bit of the tastiest biscuits of her life.

Mrs. Black smiled at Lucy's enjoyment. It was so rare for her to be greeted with a smile in the morning, or really any time of the day in her house.

Algernon stalked into the kitchen a few moments later, his hair still ungroomed and tangled from a deep sleep. He was always groggy in the mornings, and Cecilia hadn't gotten anything other than a half-muffled morning from him since he went through puberty, though as Algernon caught sight of Lucy, his shoulders lifted, and his cheeks came alive with color.

"Good morning," Algernon murmured, angling his back to Lucy as he grabbed his own cup of tea, so she didn't notice how caught off guard he had been by seeing her in his dazed state.

"Morning," Lucy said back, warming her hands with the hot tea and absentmindedly following Algernon's every action with her eyes.

Mrs. Black glimpsed the slight traces of red blooming on Lucy's cheeks and the way her gaze trailed her son until Lucy seemingly caught herself staring and shook herself out of it. She also witnessed her son not so stealthily stealing glancing at their guest over the sips of his tea and chuckled to see neither one was aware of the other's subtle gestures of affection.

"Algernon." Mrs. Black called while resting her chin under laced fingers. "Do you mind going to town to pick up a few things for me?" She asked in a disarmingly sweet tone.

Algernon knew his mother was more than likely up to something when she tried to look as innocent as she did now, but he reluctantly agreed with a nod of his head.

"And Lucy." Mrs. Black added, "Could you also go with him? There are a few things that require a woman's presence."

"Of course," Lucy said, surprised by the request but excited as she had explored many towns with her brother but none in Emora besides the short stay in its capital.

"Fantastic." Mrs. Black stated, with a smile at the both of them. "I'll have Hanagan get the carriage ready."

Hanagan suddenly wrung around from where he was still frying an egg, looking very frantic as he threw down the cast iron skillet and rushed outside still wearing his apron.