(Chapter 23) A Very Distraught Greenhouse

Algernon was on his way to Attwood's abandoned greenhouse to make sure the transfer of his plants didn't result in any infractions. At home, it was his sanctuary and escape away from whatever hardships plagued him at the time, and in this hellscape of a school, he found it extremely unfortunate to find the greenhouse considerably small and wildly out of sorts.

With the sun setting, he used some magic to light the disheveled mess of a room before sending his magic to candles between the pillars to light them. It was nothing compared to his home's greenhouse, but most importantly it was free of people and secluded in an out-of-the-way part of the castle, just as forsaken and neglected as itself. He got to work right away fixing the place up, making room for where his plants would go, and taking account of the supplies already within. It was at least well-stocked with old well-made tools that only needed a dusting. He used his magic to open all the windows and doors before sending a breeze of dark energy across everything to dispatch the buildup.

As he worked he hoped the image of that girl and Brickwood would leave his mind. The way she innocently smiled up at him with a hint of red on the apples of her cheeks made him want to vomit. Like she was a blissfully content lamb looking down the throat of a wolf.

He tried to force the thoughts away, as he knew that whatever interest his cousin had in that girl, had to be of no concern to him. She was just merely another person to become a small figure in his peripheral vision as he carried on by himself, though all that ran through his mind was the scene of her smile and how it lit up her soft features.

Pathetic, Algernon cursed himself as the stream of his magic grew so strong it rattled every panel of glass in the greenhouse.