(Chapter 136) A Reunion on its Way

Jared shuffled about his clay hut after having just bathed in the river and reviewed his letter to Solace, the last one he would be writing for a while. He frowned down at the ending address that was the same scribbled, forever thinking and praying for you, love your friend, but somehow it appeared different, less genuine after his night with the advisor. Jared suppressed his complicated mix of emotions to activate the small writing stone the ballpoint of the pen was comprised of, scrawling Brickwood's address on the back, before casting it into the fire. It burned into ashes as the blue traces of magic operating to transport it to Attwood worked. He only wished he could get himself there so easily.

"You're all prepared to go?" Devane asked, stepping into the room without so much as a knock as after what transpired between both the men, basic pleasantries were far outdated.

"Yes," Jared answered, packing a few necessities into a borrowed bag from Oria, who had been reluctant to let them go at first but accepted they had come to the end of their time together, as it had with Devane, for now.

The advisor gestured to the corner where half Jared's clothing, knitted for him by the children, still lay sprawled out.

"Oh right," Jared muttered, hurrying to gather the rest of his things as he strived to leave Dire Reeve by early morning.

"I worry about how you'll manage," Devane said, twisting one of his rings around a knuckle. "Without me there to pick up after you."

"I've been doing it for 30 years," Jared returned, stuffing his bag full thanks to the generosity of the children. "And been fine so far." But upon a more in-depth reflection added, "For the most part."

Devane smirked despite himself. The advisor held such plain affection for his traveling partner but only really came to grasp the extent of it amidst their departure, and it made him wonder what a young girl leaving behind her first likely experiences of friendships and possibly love might feel as well.

"Do you think your sister will be ok leaving behind Attwood?" Devane implored.

"I don't know," Jared said, abruptly pausing his packing. "She's never wanted anything more than friends and a place to call home." He thought about his own time in Attwood and the life-saving friendships he had made. "I don't know what her experience at that school has been, but if she made friendships like the ones I prayed she would, distance won't be the separation that ends it."

"Friends can be one thing, but what is she has to separate from a lover?" Devane asked but observing the immediate look of fiery hate on Jared's features, resigned. "Or not."

"She's too young to separate her emotions from what's good for her." Jared declared, in sudden passionate brotherly protection. "And I won't let anyone take advantage of that."

"Then be sure to do that," Devane responded, handing over the ring he had been fiddling with. "And then hurry back with her."

"What's this?" Jared asked, accepting the heavy jeweled accessory.

"A way to hurry back," Devane said, as Jared inspected the space stone center piece to see another encapsulation inside it. A transportation stone.

"Thank you," Jared said floored, by how generous such an expensive and needed gift was. "Thank you so much for all you've done and tried to do for me and my sister." He finished, bowing his head to the advisor.

Devane smiled at the gesture, patting his down-turned head. "I don't accept payment in gratitude," The advisor said, lifting Jared's gaze up with his fingers supporting his chin. "So, you better come back to pay off the cost of that."

Jared heavily blushed, highlighting all the new freckles he acquired on their trip.

"Then I'll see you soon." Jared stammered, never feeling more eager to start an adventure than he did now. It made the week-long journey before him not so daunting, knowing someone was waiting to welcome him back, and a reunion on its way with two people who meant the most to him.