(Chapter 43) Internal Damage

"Now why is dark magic so dangerous?" Brickwood asked his class but directed it at his absent-minded cousin. Algernon didn't even pretend to listen. Instead, he spent the first half hour of class stealing glances at Lucy as he had been doing all week going forward since the greenhouse incident, and always managing to look away right before she caught him.

"Internalized damages," Freya answered.

"Precisely." Brickwood nodded his surprised approval at the girl. "Dark magic damages the same way too much water pressure damages the body. Usually, all injuries manifest internally due to its extreme porosity, and that's why it's so fatal."

Brickwood brought forth an egg from his pocket and placed it on the podium. The professor directed a small stream of dark magic at it, but not strong enough to move it. "The outer layer of the shell stays unaffected, but dark magic still passes through to the inside where the damage done is irrecoverable. Even if the initial burst of magic isn't strong, multiple or steady landings will eventually lead-"

The professor was cut off when the egg exploded and chunks of white and yellow splattered across the classroom to pepper the faces of his students.

"To rupture." He said satisfied with his example.

Pecilia whipped egg off her face in profound aggravation. Freya happily ate whatever came her way. Lucy luckily avoided all parts of the overcooked example.

"That is what happens to the inside of your body with repeated attacks," Brickwood explained. "The human body isn't made to survive under pressure. In fact, anything above 40 psi is fatal, and the eardrums can rupture at anything as little as 5. What I just showed you now was that amount and is why it is so important to block the attacks of dark magic."

Algernon flung egg out of his hair and stared down his cousin. The professor laughed it off.

"Can anyone tell me what is the most effective way to counter dark magic?"

"Light retaliation," Freya said, eating the last reminiscent of egg to so serendipitously fall upon her. "The two magics nullify when meant."

"Exactly," Brickwood said, again pleasantly shocked that the girl with sparkly barrettes was the quickest to answer. "And why shouldn't either be used against itself?"

"If we try to defend light with light magic it will ricochet and hit a bystander or yourself," Freya said, not hesitating to answer. "And dark energy can't be used against itself because the particles repeal and move around one another."

"Right again," Brickwood commended. "Using dark magic against dark magic will widen the radius of the attack but lessen the intensity." He noted the contemplative looks on some of his student's faces. "Well the best way to explain is to demonstrate, so I will need..." The professor skimmed over the room and landed on his already brooding target. "Algernon," Brickwood merrily called.

Algernon's annoyance turned critical, but he walked up to the front of the room. Everyone sensed the cold veil Algernon wore as he stood before them. It was a small forcefield he channeled constantly, and Lucy was the only one who had seen it falter. That unexplainable night at the greenhouse had stayed etched in her mind as did that look of pained sadness of Algernon's when his voice nearly broke upon asking her not to look away.

Lucy had to keep reminding herself that he didn't mean forever, but still, she found herself unable to look away for long.

"On my mark," Brickwood instructed.

"Fine," Algernon said already prepping his hands with the flow of dark energy.

"And not enough to do any damage." Brickwood qualified.

Algernon kept his face as flat as before, but the energy he channeled waned.

It was still a little more than was necessary for a demonstration, but Brickwood figured it would be fine. And anyways, he had dealt with much worse from Algernon over their years of training. "Go." The professor signaled.

Algernon and Brickwood released at the same time, and it took only a second for the streams to collide where upon the particles of dark energy found divots and faults to sneak by one another to come out the other side like a reverse funnel. It ruffled Algernon's hair and jacket as slight tension built inside his wrists as the magic dissipated into his joints.

Lucy watched it all happen in pure amazement. She hadn't seen much dark energy in her life. Only Jared used it in far in-between teaching the lessons he tended to skip over after Lucy's frustrations upon hours of repeated failures. Up close she could see how beautiful it truly was, with hues of every color encased in a layer of black, like the feathers of crows.

"As you can see dark magic will conform to move around itself instead of bouncing off," Brickwood said, stopping the demonstration and flicking his wrist to alleviate the side effects. "And even a low intensity of dark magic still puts unnecessary stress on the body. "

Algernon didn't bother massaging out the soreness in his hand on his walk back to his seat. On his way, he couldn't help but notice the face of one very impressed girl. As Algernon met Lucy's eyes the back ends of his hair started to curl as he was instantly brought back to the other night. He grimaced and snapped his eyes away.

Lucy noticed how keenly offended Algernon looked when their eyes met and thought he might be upset with her intrusion from the day before.

"I'll leave it up to Professor Punditwood to teach you what happens when you try to defend light with light energy," Brickwood said, knowing it was a much more problematic thing to demonstrate with no injuries.

Algernon got back to his seat as a slight blush topped the very ends of his ears, remembering Lucy's amazed expression. He thought she shouldn't be so easily impressed. And as he recalled the image of Lucy's hands clasped together in astonishment with a smile lighting up her gray eyes for the rest of the class, he also thought she shouldn't show that face to anyone else.