(Chapter 49) The Pillar and Problem of Proximity

"What are the four pillars that define a healthy relationship between practitioner and magic?" Opperwood presented the question to her class. She was not surprised to see a sea of blank faces. "They are the same four pillars that love is fostered from." The hint didn't help anyone as the professor could clearly tell. "Well, I guess that's hard to infer if you are still without those experiences." She turned to her board and lifted the chalk with her magic for it to trace out her words. "Reciprocity, proximity, familiarity, and stress."

Lucy tried to pay attention but her excitement kept pulling her to the black-haired boy in the back of the classroom and the promise of their secret lessons.

Algernon witnessed Lucy's stares but feign he didn't, angling away before she caught sight of his slight smile. Though Pecilia almost gagged every time she saw it.

"All four are needed to establish oneself with magic, and it is no coincidence it is the same for love." The majority of the class's attention perked up, and the teacher smiled. "And what a powerful motivator such a thing is. Without proof, without justification, without even the power to control it, love is an ability just like magic, one humans have yet to master." Wilham rolled his eyes and it wasn't lost on the teacher who already had a short fuse when it came to her most opinionated student.

"And as we define the most powerful feeling a human can experience, we can relate it to our relationship with magic." She said, ambling towards the rows of seats. "When properly channeled we feel a familiarity with our magic, a bond, as natural a part of oneself as our own breathing. And the times we truly become the most fused with magic is when we rely on it in stressful situations because it is those moments where we find self-competence, dependably in ourselves and our strength." She came to stand before Wilham's desk. "And of course, our magic is the strongest when it is nearest to our proximity." She lifted her hand in the air and the flippant boy, along with his desk, lifted five feet into the air before falling back with a huge thud. "Just like love grows stronger the nearer you are to your person." She added blithely, sauntering back to her podium.

Lucy flexed her hand and thought of dark magic. It wasn't until Algernon guided her on how to find comfort in the darkness did she learn to use it and she looked back at him once again. Algernon had turned his attention to Lucy as well as the teacher's words drifted unconsciously from his mind to his actions.

"You know what else proximity is good for?" Pecilia whispered into Algernon's ear and with one solid strike, jabbed her heel into his toe.

Algernon winced before scowling, but it was far overshadowed by Pecilia's own.

"Don't give me that look, and don't give her those." Pecilia crossed her arms and didn't have to elaborate for Algernon to know exactly who she was speaking of. "You sad little cold boy."           

                                                                                          ~~~~~~

"Leaving already?" Freya asked as Lucy scarfed down only a portion of her dinner. "You've hardly finished."

Lucy put her pistachio muffin onto Freya's plate before the girl could even ask for it. "Do it for me." She said but took with her the pear, planning to finish it before she reached the greenhouse.

"You've been sneaking away quite often lately," Freya said. "Are you going anywhere particular? Or going to anyone in particular?"

Lucy blushed. "I've just been practicing." She replied as her poor attempt at denial.

"Practicing what?" Freya asked.

"How about you practice keeping out of other people's business," Pecilia returned, taking the seat across Lucy.