{You, me & the baby P4}

When they hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time, this fast, squirmy little thing, Lisa is holding Rosie's hand and she kisses her palm and she feels wetness on her fingertips that tell her Lisa is crying, but Chaeyoung can not look away from the screen. And it's not much, and they have no idea what they are looking at really, not in the way the doctor does who tells them everything looks great, but Chaeyoung is transfixed by this little undefined oval on the screen all the same. When the blonde finally looks over to Lisa, she tears her eyes away from the monitor to look at Roseanne, too. Rosie squeezes her hand, and Lisa kisses her.
On the ride home, Lisa starts to ramble off all the things she needs to do around the apartment to get it ready for the baby. They had decided in the last few weeks that they would stay in the apartment for now, until they truly outgrew it and could afford someplace nicer.

When they get back, Lisa makes lists. She is thorough with them, peering into every corner of this space and noting what needs mending, what needs to be better, and this is how she loves Rosie. With hammers and nails, and fresh coats of paint. Putty knives to fix cracks and screwdrivers to make things stronger.
It makes Chaeyoung smile, it makes the sparks crackle in her chest, knowing how taken care of this tiny thing already is, how lucky the two of them got, to get Lisa to build them a home.

___

Chaeyoung's finally at the point where she can start telling people, and she realizes that she hasn't spoken to her mother in over six months.
She knows about Chaeyoung, and about Lalisa, although Rosie suspect she still thinks the blonde is going to snap out of it any second now, even though it's been five years since Roseanne came out to her mother, even though she has the most established and stable life of anyone her mother knows.

The blonde calls her and her mother sounds surprised to hear from her daughter. She immediately asks if something is wrong, because for some reason she can't fathom Chae'd want to just talk to her. Haeyoung can't fault her though, because it's kind of the truth. But she asks again, a bit more genuine, a side of her coming out that the younger blonde rarely got to hear, because Rosie sounds nervous, she sounds scared, she sounds excited, somehow, all at once. Rosie tells her that she's pregnant, and after a moment of stunned silence and a barrage of invasive questions she knew to expect, her mother lets out a little laugh that sounds like joy, and she congratulates to Rosie, and Rosie can feel that she means it even if it confuses her.

Chaeyoung's mother asks how Che feels, and she tells her that her morning sickness has passed, that she was exhausted a lot the last two months, but now she feels good. Her mother doesn't offer any advice, and Roseanne's grateful, because really she does not want that from her.

Lisa had left the older girl alone in their bedroom for them to make this call, at Chaeyoungs request, and Chaeyoung is genuinely shocked when her mother asks to speak to Lalisa. They've spoken only three times before, over five years, and the first time barely counts because Claire just wanted confirmation Roseanne wasn't making up lies, and after each conversation, Lisa needed a stiff glass of whiskey.

Rosie goes into the kitchen where Lisa's on the floor fixing the cabinets, dressed only in Rosie's oversized shirt and panties, and Lisa has been so good lately about getting to everything she put on her lists, and Chaeyoung tells her to pick up the phone because her mother wants to talk to her. At first Lisa laughs and says, 'Nice one, chipmunk. How'd it go, though?' but she realizes her Rosie is serious when she glances toward her and sees the blonde's expression and Lisa bangs her head on the side of the cabinet trying to get up in her haste.