Chapter 21

BAELZ

Arlo wide awake in the morning made all of us incredibly happy. We'd done everything we can the previous night to restore back his torn-off heart, threw him the biggest hugs we could muster and celebrated our victory against cruel fate.

However, Arlo's enthusiasm during that morning had been surprisingly mild, like something was adrift his mind causing his body to become bloodless. Was he not happy to be alive? That was a ridiculous notion seeing as he couldn't wait to get outside this morning to breathe in the outdoors again. 

He was quiet, unlike the Arlo I knew when he always introduced to us a funny impression of something. The radical turn of events must've set his mind in a disruptive blaze. I couldn't blame him. If I were normal and lacked the power to leap from planet to planet, I'd be speechless too. 

Arlo told us he wanted to walk by himself for a few hours to get his mind settled. I was insistent on him staying initially since I was still paranoid of something dangerous happening. Tsukumo Sana took precautionary measures alongside Kronii to create a barrier around Arlo that perfectly captured the magnificence of their abilities. If anything were to occur, we would be notified immediately of his current state and location. Losing a majority vote to the girls, I let Arlo walk around for the time being to who knows where as long as he was close by the area.

In this world, I was a rat. An amusing and almighty one. In the other side, I was borderline insanity, tantamount to a universal overlord. On Earth, I swung  my legs sitting on the couch and ate all day, without a care for conflict and peace as they unite and clash. Back then had been entirely different. I was living for a thrill. Seeking enjoyment minus the objections and seedless disturbances. I had been around for a long time but I only knew so less. 

The biggest shock was that I'd let myself be guided under the tutelage of a completely normal human being. The idea had been incredulous for someone of my stature. Who was I to submit to this human's personal laws and convictions? How dare he treat me as if he were my equal?

He wasn't strong. Arlo couldn't create animals like Fauna, summon meteors like Sana, stop time like Kronii and turn into an owl like Mumei. I had already known he was afraid of us in the beginning. 

"Are you happy to be here? All of you?! Do the words of a higher being tell you to stay put? This human will tell you something else..."

His words were pristine, reflecting beautifully against the waves of a gentle pond. A measly life form of a lesser god talked back to us. His conviction laid out onto the table we five shared. That was a memory I deemed to be powerful. The only time I could see Arlo betray his own humanity and go beyond.

"Come to my world. I'm sure you'll enjoy it better than here."

He feared us but what does it mean when one chooses to side with what they're afraid of? Arlo had been spooked about us the first time. 

Maybe his unshakeable will was his greatest asset.

He chooses to live alongside those problems and deals with them eventually. 

He sees the good in everything and doesn't hesitate to tell any one of us off if we crossed a line. 

I was Chaos but he saw beauty in that.

I had already sensed the warmth of his arms in close proximity with mine, snaking them around my waist as the calm glow of the night sky covered my blushing face.

I like him. 

But I might have to go away soon.

"We might have to leave," was Kronii's thoughts splayed out in our discussion.