Chapter 17

(The festival in this chapter is purely fictional. It has no correlation with an existing one whatsoever. Onwards to the story.)

"Prosperity Festival?" 

The girls and I were doing some spring cleaning for the whole day, wiping down mold and mildew on the furniture and appliances that weren't used for over a week. Amidst the tidying up, we were having a casual chat about an event that's celebrated once every first moon in the season of spring.

"Yeah, it's a festival that's held by the community here once every year.  You guys interested in going?" This might be the first time I'm attending with other people apart from pity groups and co-workers that'd be fine leaving me drunk somewhere.

"I can't wait to go! They have dancing and concerts, right?!" Sana held my hands as I feared my fingers getting the risk of being fractured by her intense interest.

"We have to dress for the occasion in these events." Mumei tossed the broom back into the kitchen in one throw, perfectly aligned by the rack of cleaning materials. 

"Oh?" 

"That means we either have to wear casual clothing or dress in yukatas."

Fauna sprang up from her feather-dusting predicament by the windowsills. "I've always wanted to try wearing a green one. What are festivals like, Kronii?"

"Festivals are celebrations bestowed upon the gods of this world. Every now and then, the meanings of festivals convey fortune or longevity of the essence of life." 

"Oh~" Fauna clapped.

"It could also mean celebrating the death of a well-renowned hero  as well as the sacrifice of many unfortunate souls," Kronii answered. "At least, that is what I've read."

"What's up with that dispiriting take of a ceremonious event?" Mumei put her hands on her waist.

"Don't ask me. Ask the articles I've read on the Internet. They all have these magnanimous mannerisms of writing their affairs in captivating yet bereaving undertones." 

"What's the Prosperity festival all about, Arlo?" Baelz asked, holding two mops in hand.

She's cute.

Wait what?

"Oiiii~ You daydreaming?"

"Eh- Ah! No. Anyway, yeah, the festival celebrates the town's development over the years. There's nothing too serious behind it."

"Hmph! Hmph! Hmph! Such a simple reason! I bet even I can make a greater festival than this!" Baelz exclaimed, twirling the mops she had in hand like a kendo master.

"We will have to be prepared," Kronii's eyes glinted. "Amongst the festival, there are... numerous challenges that await us."

"Hoho? What kind of challenges? I'm dying to know~" Sana joined in.

"There are these unique domains called street fairs. Within them, there are various stalls that introduce activities that test your intelligence and strength."

"They dare question our power?"

I step in, giving them the reality bomb. "Toy-gun shooting and throwing balls at stacks of cups to win prizes aren't exactly tests of intelligence..."

"Guns?! Are you sure you really want to go to this, Arlo?!" Baelz couldn't distinguish between the two.

"It's not a real gun. They can't kill people. Anyway, you're all thinking too much about it," I said. "The purpose of a festival is to appreciate the simple things in life like games and food. There's nothing scary or life-threatening. We go to enjoy. That's it." I might've gotten a bit confident that they'd go. "If you guys have time, do you wanna come with?"