Chapter 2

I was back in my home in the morning. The memories from last night protruded and made themselves known as soon as I touched the floor. I turned off my electric fan and wholly stared at the neighborhood outside. 

Should I go to work and hope for the best? Nothing good came out of that way of thinking. My boss was a bit of a loudmouth in the office. It felt like I came straight out of the womb when he lectured me about my performance. Those years of interning for various businesses I was interested in were mere afterthoughts. What was the point of getting an undergraduate degree if my capabilities couldn't appease those weird superiors? Bachelors and graduates were so overrated during their big days.

I ate noodles for breakfast and snatched a piece of bread from the table. Desperately searching for condiments in the cupboards, images of Fauna kept appearing in my mind. I'd never met someone who could speak with the melody of a lyre. She told me I wasn't supposed to be in the forest, that it was a sacred abode I couldn't enter. You know someone's excellent at roleplaying if they're awake past midnight to be in a forest and act like a fairy godmother.

Tripping on nothing, I fall to the floor. Life was giving me a reality check. 

My work was nothing special. In fact, I enjoyed the simplicity of doing clerical tasks. Answering phone calls and organizing important documents granted me enough pay for the months that passed. I was an assistant that received 16 dollars an hour, perhaps the business thought I was simply fodder that could be get rid of. 

Recently, I've been badmouthed by the staff and even the boss. I didn't attend to their drinking sessions because I wasn't too fond of alcohol. Was that a strong reason to isolate me? No, they gave me a hard time. They didn't like me. Brushing my teeth, I instead think back to last night.

Fauna was a mysterious woman claiming to be the keeper of nature. Be that as it may, the impact of her words had broke me down when we laid down on the grass. Whether she was having a double-identity crisis or not, my heart yearned to tell her I was grateful she could see I still had many things going for myself even though there were none. I think I also lost my black cap hours ago inside the forest. It must've dropped down somewhere. 

"But man, she was beautiful..." I said with my toothbrush in my mouth. From behind me, I saw a floating newspaper being blown away by the wind.

I continue staring at myself in the bathroom mirror. "Gross. You should work out, dude." A bit of toothpaste rooted itself to my chin. "Ugh, do your job!" I brushed with vigor. "F**king germs!"

Not too big but not too great-looking either. I shaved afterward, took a bath and wondered what I was going to wear for today. Noticing my lights were still turned on, I muttered to myself. "I'm not going to be living here for long anyway..." 

Shutting them off, I wear my suit and slacks, grab my briefcase and ride a bike to work, bracing myself for come what may. A picture frame of my ex-girlfriend was beside the door, smiling and having her arms around my neck as her head was beside mine affectionately. 

"I'm going now."

As per usual, I greeted my neighbors by the sidewalks. They knew me well because I walk a lot at this part of town. Once upon a time I did participate in community events and activities but I haven't been earnestly committed since then. 

Stopping by the office soon, I chained my bike to the parking lot's metal fences. It was still 7am in the morning but I was always an early riser so it didn't make sense for me to be late. 

I checked in as the guard scanned my ID, letting me in with the doors sliding open. 

~*~

"You're not firing me?" 

"What makes you think you're fired?" My boss replied. More like, bit back at me for questioning his intelligence. 

"You have made it a duty to remind me I'm lacking in performance weeks ago." I wasn't sure if I still wanted to keep this job or to quit. What was holding me back? 

He smoked a cigarette in front of me. I'm pretty sure that violated protocol. 

"I bet you're gonna tell me smoking is unethical in the workplace, Mr. Barrow." I disliked my surname. It reminded me of family. He knew that and while using our surnames were for formal purposes, my boss knew my background and my circumstances. He was testing my patience. "On the basis of you being fired, I have decided to give you a chance to redeem yourself."

Was I supposed to be filled with relief?

"Why if I may ask?" I hid my clenched fist behind me.

"It is true you're not performing well but it's not an issue of quantity."

"Something to do with quality then?" 

"You catch up quickly. I see you're still aware." 

Don't cause a scene. Don't jump over the table and bash him with a chair. Just don't.

"As it is right now, we can't afford employees leaving. We're in need of manpower. Simply put, as one of the office's assistants, I want you to oversee the business' state of affairs. That way, I'll reconsider not replacing you." 

"I'm afraid you're going to have to be a bit specific." 

"There is still a way. A way for you to live and be happy."

Haha. I apologize, Fauna. My life might not have that kind of luxury anymore. 

"Because you're strong enough to cry in front of a girl."

I'll take that to the grave.

"I want you to monitor everyone doing their tasks and make sure you report to me if what they are doing is efficient for the business or not. Simple enough, right?"

With lack of a better word, I accepted. I was going to do my job right this time. It might not make me happy but it would let me live. Fauna was partially right. I guess I could do a better job this time.

"Oh and please refrain from sulking too much inside the office." My boss's words stopped my tracks.

"Huh?"

"I understand your situation but don't shower your negativity on someone else," he said. For some reason, I really wanted to punch him. "It's not our fault your girlfriend left. I'm sure your family's looking out for you too in their own way. You're here for your job, not your problems."

How can you say all that with a smile? Who are you to say that to me? You who have verbally harassed me about this for the duration of my stay in this business place? 

Within these four gray walls inside his office, I walked back up to him. "Do you have to remind me over and over I'm problematic?"

"Oh no, do not misinterpret me. I'm only concerned for you."

Then why are you close to chuckling? 

God, is it okay if I punch him? 

"Boss," My heart was on fire. "When I first signed up here, I treated all of you like friends. When I'd lost a little energy in work, you start belittling me, insulting me and even my co-workers ride along with your boat." Every part of my body was on fire. "I even told you those problems because you needed a reason why I was working like I'd been empty. All of a sudden I'm the enemy." 

"Hey Arlo. Do you really think we've been treating you like a friend as well?" I look at him, wide-eyed. "In this business, you either work hard or go home. Now tell me, are you going to work or go home?"

"So it's because I have issues that you'll send me home right away?" 

I took a deep breath, losing vitality. Smiling, I toss my briefcase at him, aware that it made his assortment of pens fall to the floor. "You can monitor your business with your other assistants.  I'm going home to eat noodles. While I do that, you should improve your attitude towards your employees."