Book 1: Water | 22 | The Crazy King I

Start from the beginning

Heck, by the way the young man was currently looking at the members of his family, he was sure he was just as upset with them as they were!

This nonsense had to stop immediately, or this fool was going to ruin their good reputation! His group was renowned for being reasonable while upholding the law. They weren't brutes without conscience as this rascal was showcasing right now. But before he could chastise his soldier, he was beaten to it by the citizens who'd had enough.

"Stop that at once! I demand to know what he is being arrested for!" Shiko shouted, the others within his secret fan club slowly amassing, demanding to know the same.

"He hasn't done anything but be helpful!" One shouted, "Right guys?!"

A chorus of agreements and nods resounded in the area, the four good guards listening intently to each entry being added about the young man.

"He helped me load my cart! Everything on it was heavy!" An older man stated. "We would've been working 'til sundown trying to load all of this stuff at our age if it weren't for him."

One of the kinder guards turned to Ayaan. "Is this true?"

Ayaan nodded; he had indeed helped this old man pack his cart. A few of his usual helpers were ill, so they were understaffed and running behind schedule. With Ayaan's natural strength, the tasks the older men found taxing were very simple for him. The man was forever grateful.

The old man practically begged Ayaan to join his crew, but of course, Ayaan had to decline.

A young boy, no older than ten, came up to one of the quieter guards. "H-he gave me enough money to feed my family for the next month! Please don't take the nice big brother away, sir!"

The quiet guard turned back to Ayaan, his eyes widening like his senior's. "Is this true, young man?"

Ayaan nodded again; He had seen the child looking at the food stalls with a longing expression. He and some other kids were in the alleyways of the market, their clothes filthy and with a far-off look in their eyes. Ayaan didn't like to see children want for anything as simple as a meal, so, he gave them each a small share of his wealth, telling them to get what they wanted.

What Ayaan didn't realize was that the amount of money he'd given them was enough for them to sustain themselves and their family for a long while. They could even buy themselves good clothes and find a home. When they returned to where they'd been living before, their parents cried. They too cried, because of what they were planning to do that day.

They had been thinking of stealing food. But now, because of Ayaan's generosity, they could have a real chance at life.

The officers were looking at each other now. They too had seen those poor children wandering the streets. They always tried to give them what they could, but it wasn't like they could do much with their pay. They had their own families to care for too.

Because of the war, lots of money and labor had been put into their defenses and military, and it was hard on the citizens of lower stature. While their king had been trying to work out a way to fix this problem before it got worse, it was still a long and hard process. These children were ones they would see often because of those hardships. And this young man helped them enough to get back on their feet.

Soon enough, the family of the children would be able to sustain themselves, and they would help the other families who had been like them.

Ayaan's small bit of kindness had started that.

Next, a young woman came forward. She was a pretty miss who gave a smile towards Ayaan before scowling at the youngest guard in disgust. "Lord Ayaan saved me from your disgusting officers!" The woman had the guts to point at the guard in question, "Yeah, you!"