Chapter 5: Look What I Can Do!

Max had managed to wake everyone up and get them to the living room. I hated being the center of attention.

Anna was still wiping the sleep out of her eyes.

Elise’s short brown hair was everywhere but she seemed pretty alert.

            Darius was a different story. He looked as if he had been awake for awhile but he seemed interested. And Elise looked like she thought his interest was strange.

            Max sat next to Elise and put an arm around her shoulder and that was the first time I realized they were a couple. They looked cute together.

            Anna smiled and sat next to me. I messed with her hair and smiled back.

            It took a few moments for everyone to get situated, and then Max spoke, “As most of you know, we now know what Rae’s ability is,” he started before standing up. I felt like I was in some sort of business meeting.

            “Rae, will you show them,” he asked me. That was surprising, but I stood nonetheless and prayed that I wouldn’t break something. I looked at everyone’s expression, they all, including little Anna, were watching me intensely. That really helped my nerves.

            I focused on a marker that was laying on a coffee table between two couches. Up that was my only thought; it hit the ceiling. I felt myself blush and I knew that it would take awhile to get these things straight.

            Anna started clapping and the rest followed suit. I blushed a deeper red.

            Max put an arm around my shoulder and shook me a little, “At least you’re not having trouble getting things to move,” he said with a smile. I forced a smile and a slight laugh, before sitting back down next to Anna.

            “That was neat Rae!” she said bouncing up and down in her seat, “can you lift me?” she asked.

            “You saw what happened to the marker,” I said softly. Anna looked at me pleadingly before a smile snuck across her face.

            “Okay, but the second you know how to do it, I get a ride,” she said determined. I forced myself not to smile at how serious she looked. It just didn’t go with her so angelic looking face.

            “Okay,” I agreed before she made me pinky promise. Her black curls flew through the air as she spun away and headed up the stairs. Max, Elise and Darius had already left.

            I walked up the stairs and towards my room and stopped when I heard voices. Something possessed me to stop and listen, normally I don’t eavesdrop.

            The voices were coming from Elise’s room. She was talking to Max about something. Words became clear as I inched closer.

            “Don’t you think Darius has been acting… normal lately,” Elise said hesitantly.

            It sounded like Max took a second to think, “Now that you mention it he has been speaking more, and he’s been nicer,” Max said. It was almost strange to hear him sound serious, sometimes Max acted like a five-year-old stuck in an eighteen-year-old’s body. In all honesty though it was a little comical.

            “This started whenever Rae came, maybe she has something to do with it,” Elise said with a hint of doubt.

            “Or he’s Bipolar,” Max offered. The seriousness could never last very long.

            I slipped away from the door and into my room. I shut my door behind it and leaned against it staring up at the ceiling. I wondered what I had done that has caused Darius’ sudden change in disposition.

            I thought about asking him, but a nervousness crept over my stomach and I felt a strong apprehension to what I knew I would have to do for the sake of my sanity. I would have to be confident, and confidence was never my strongest virtue. Oh joy.

Okay so I'm bored and we all know how dangerous that can be, so now for the random question, who out of this story do you think you're the most like (respond in comments)?

I personally think I'm most like Rae. Headstrong when it comes to the people she cares about but timid with it's something to do with her personally, also works harder when she's told she can't do something.