Leave her alone

I already knew it wasn't going to be a good day when Daphne woke up with a flu and groggily told me to go to the lessons without her. "I can't" I tried to tell her, but she just went back to bed, covering her head with her blanket.

So now here I am, alone, sitting in the front row desk in Slughorn's Class, at my third period of the day.

I'm scribbling on my exercise book, because I'm not sure about the properties of Beautification Potion- I know it allows the taker to change and seem attractive even if they are now- but I don't understand how someone could accept the thought of being loved by someone for your fake appearance.

I hear a warm breath on my neck and I startle, immediately turning to see Harry staring at me. He's standing very close to me and has been reading over my shoulder for all this time.

"You don't need that" he says. I am very tempted to change sit, but I just ignore him.

He tries again. "It's obvious why" he points at my question mark on the page "it's better to be loved, even if it's fake, than to be ignored." I have a feeling he's directing that at me.

But I'm not the one who slapped him. I'm not the one who hurt him. I'm not the one who disappointed him, who broke everything we've done together, who forced him to do a thing he clearly didn't want to. I didn't ruin his relationships, I didn't lie about him.

He did.

"Come on Olivia, talk to me. I'm sorry for whatever I did, alright?"

I look up at him, shocked. Whatever he did? Alright?

Nothing is fucking alright in this whole situation! And he seems so... so unaffected, I really don't get it. Good for him, I think. At least he didn't waste tears and heart like me.

Harry's friends come near me, smiling at me. "Hey Via. Come on, forgive him. He's sorry. Don't be a cold-hearted bitch" Ron says.

I have to bite my tongue not to do him what Harry did me- I mean the slap, not the kiss.

Hermione touches my arm. "Hey, don't be mean-"

I suddenly feel a weird tingling on the back of my head and I quickly and subtly turn and, unsurprisingly, see Draco staring at me. Or better, at Harry and his friends.

"Leave her alone" he says, from the opposite side of the room. Hermione wrinkles up her up-turned, cute, freckled nose. "You stay out of this Malfoy. Harry didn't do anything to deserve this-"

I swear I know what's going to happen.

I almost want to stop time and never go ahead in time.

I just realise that Daphne has just entered the classroom, Luna with her. And I get how much shitty this all is about to become.

"He fucking slapped her" Draco says clearly between his teeth, coming closer to me and Harry. "And he harassed her."

And silence falls into the room, as I predicted it would. I turn to look at people.

Everyone is astonished, and I have the horrible feeling that not many people believe him. But my fucking, not-needed tears that have just started to quit my eyes, confirm the info Draco just spilled.

Every girl in the room starts to talk at the same time, but there are only a few people I get to hear and understand:

- Harry, who's frozen in time

- Ron and Hermione, who've stepped back from him

- Daphne and Luna, who're looking at me as if I was a beast

- Draco, of course, who's looking at Harry with such hatred that if eyes could kill, Harry would drop dead.

But what hits me the most, and I feel the overwhelming effect of it on myself, and I have to grab my desk with my fingers, which become white. What hits me the most, is that they know. Everyone knows, now, and I've become a silly, little girl who was harassed by the popular, golden boy.

I can't stand all the pity looks. I can't stand Hermione and Ron, Luna, Daphne trying to talk to me over all the noise. I can't stand Harry staring at me. I can't stand Draco.

Stop. I didn't sign up for this.

I stand up abruptly and leave the room, leaving everything on my desk, because who fucking cares anymore? Draco just sent everything to Hell, as far as I'm concerned.

I meet Slughorn on my way out of the class, he raises an eyebrow at me, but he can't say anything because I flee because he can see my tears, or hear what the other students are saying about me. I don't want to be weak. I never shoulda told Draco, he never shoulda tell anyone. I'm screwed.

I find a place in the girls' bathroom, hoping that Myrtle will leave me alone for this time. I just can't have Draco or Harry running after me. Let's hope Slughorn won't allow other students run out the class.

When I sit down on the cold, marble floor, looking at the white ceiling, I realise the whole fact. Nobody's ever going to look at me, again, and if they do, all they're gonna see is Harry's slap, or kiss. Everyone's going to enlarge the story. Or maybe they will not, maybe they will forget everything and just pretend nothing even happened, because how could their favourite Gryffindor do such a thing? I provoked him, that's obvious.

"Oooh, we have the crying Black!" a shrilling voice makes me jump. "What did he do now? I knew you shoulda chosen Potter and not Malfoy! He's such a noble heart..."

Myrtle's words almost make me laugh. "It wasn't Draco, it's Harry's fault actually" I explain, without going in details. Myrtle 'sits' down near me, playing with her black hair. "I will gladly have Harry!" she giggles "But you take that handsome Malfoy, he's no better than the other Malfoy... the old one."

"Draco is way better than his father" I murmur weakly. "At least, I believe so. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong, eh?"

DRACO'S POV

I couldn't even think of letting Olivia run away alone, so I went after her of course. She probably imagined that, and that's why she hid in the girls' bathroom, where Moaning Myrtle lives. So I just sighed and, without making any noise, I followed her, and stood near the entrance of the bathroom.

And when I hear her defending me, even after everything that's just happened, I can't exactly say what stops me from rushing in and lulling her between my arms.

I already punished Potter, and I can't see a way to kill him, so Olivia will have to be over the whole fact as soon as possible, because Potter will be around for a long time, still. As if it was that easy.

I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy (except Potter, of course), and although I know Olivia to be strong enough, I would never want her to bear such a thing. On her own, because I hurt her as everyone else did.

And when I told her I loved her, I meant it half as a joke, but it was her reaction who broke me a little. I would do anything for her.

But she isn't even able to tell me 'I love you' back.

And it took me a great deal of courage I usually lack to say those three words. Will she ever feel the same?