Hospital

"Dan, Dan please wake up." I heard my flat mate Phil plead from above me. 

"Phil? Where are we?" I responded, sitting up.

"We're in the hospital. You tried to fight off someone who broke in and he almost killed you. Gave you a terrible concussion and broke your arm." he responded. 

"Where's Jennifer?" I asked after a moment.

"Calm down lover boy she's with Caspar in the waiting room." Phil responded with a chuckle. I sighed and looked towards the door.

"When did Caspar get here?"

"About an hour after we did. Said he had some things to do." Phil responded. 

"Why can't she just dump him already?" I complained just like the child I was.

"I know mate, I don't think you could want anything more. Why don't you just tell her?" Phil responded after thinking for a moment. 

"Oh yeah cause that will work out well." I replied sarcastically. "When can I see her?"

"The doctors said that you can have visitors when you wake up." 

"Can you send her in? Just her!" I asked as Phil got up to go get her. She walked in after a few minutes with black balloons and a small black dog stuffed animal.

"I'm so glad you're okay." She said as she set her gifts for me on the bedside table. 

"I am too." I responded awkwardly. Real smooth Dan. Your awkwardness is sure to win her over.

"Aviary called and told me they caught the guy who hurt you. They haven't sentenced him to jail time yet." She told me after a moment. 

"Hey Jennifer?" I asked, reaching for her hand which she let me hold.

"Yeah Dan?" She responded. I was just about to tell her how I felt when-

"Hey Jenni we should probably get going." Caspar said leaning in through the door. Jennifer glanced at me then him then back at me.

"Sure but just a sec Dan needs to tell me something." She responded. 

"No, no, go. It's fine really." I responded, waving her off.

"Oh, okay." she said getting up and letting Caspar put his arm around her shoulder. Once they left, I silently cursed my awkwardness. Why couldn't I just tell her how much I love her? My thoughts were interrupted by Phil coming back and telling me that he just signed me out of the hospital. On the drive home, my only thought was- 

how can I get her back?