21. Nikola

I sit rolling an apple between my hands as I sit on my throne. A soldier enters the room looking frightened and distraught.

"Efendi'm (my sir), Osman Bey snuck inside the castle and saved his captives. He also killed thirty of our men." the soldier announced with his head bowed down. I clench my fist so tight the apple in my hand splits and becomes nothing but mush. I send the soldier out and bang my fist on the arm of the throne. I stand up in rage, my eyes flashing.

"OSMAN! I will get you! I will destroy all of your tribe, family, you will not have a single soul left on this earth for you, Osman!!!" I vow to myself. "Soldiers! Come in right now!" I shout to call the soldiers inside. All the soldiers come running inside the room, worried and haphazard. "At least tell me, did our plan work? Did anyone get poisoned?" latching onto the only possible good thing that could have happened when Osman saved his people.

"Yes, efendi'm. Our trick worked, someone grabbed the key from the hole and got stung by the scorpion." I smile as I hear this wonderful news. Suddenly, another soldier bursts into the room carrying a note from our informant from the Kayi Tribe. I stand up quickly and the soldier hands me the note.

Malhun Hatun has been poisoned, all the beys and alps have been saved.

My mind whirls with this news. She wasn't supposed to be there, she wasn't supposed to be stung. That was meant for Osman and his alps!

"M-m-malhun Hatun-" The world starts to blur and the last thing I remember is Malhun's face as I fall to the floor.

Why did Nikola react like this hearing about Malhun? What do you think? Let us know in the comments and don't forget to vote!

M&M