18. Osman

We set off at midnight. The moon's radiant light guides our path to Inegol. Once we're a safe distance from the gate. I try to instill courage into the hearts of my fighters.

"Yiğit alps, yiğit beys, yiğit hatuns, you have all joined this battle so we can save our men that were wrongly snatched from us. There is no promise of coming out of this attack, but I have full faith that each one of you will not fail me, you will not fail the Kayi alps, the Kayi beys, that are staying strong in the dungeons of these dogs' nests!" I raise my sword and start thundering, "Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar!" Everyone's voice echoes through the thick brush we're hidden behind. I continue to lead my men into this ambush.

We arrive at the front of the gate. My alps are dressed as Byzantine soldiers, Malhun and Bala'm are dressed as the nuns that were supposed to arrive today. Our masks pulled over our nose and mouth, we are allowed into the city of Inegol. Bala, Malhun and a few alps start toward the main castle, while the rest of the alps and I spread out and set stations in certain places, in case of retaliation. Once the alps are set, Goktug, Boran, Cerkutay and I, retrace our steps. We return to the area where we split up with the hatuns. Follow the steps they took and eventually reach the entrance of Inegol Castle. I look down at the floor where Bala and Malhun promised to leave a trace. I see the ring I gave to Bala peeking out from the corner of the pillar. I catch a glimpse of the sapphire stone set in brass. I pick it up.

"They were here, my valiants. We just need to keep following the trail they left us." I keep my men in the loop. The next thing they left for us is a small piece of a Kayi arrow. Passing hallway after hallway, arch after arch, door after door, we finally catch the sound of our group just ahead of us. I hear Malhun and Bala sweet-talking the guards then brutally taking their lives. We made it in. Now, all we have to do is find our fellow Kayi.

Do you think they will be able to save their alps and beys in time? Will Bala be ok, since she is taking care of more than a single life? What are your thoughts and ideas for the next chapter? Don't forget to vote!

M&M