30| Talk with the devil

Liv's POV

The broad, crooked smile of Theo comes into my view the moment I open the door to his bar. Thank God, this place came into my mind. Here I can shut down my mind. At least for a short while.

"What do I owe the honor?" Theo greets me and approaches me from behind the bar. His smile fades when he notices my reddened eyes. "Are you okay?"

I give him a sad smile and shrug my shoulders, "Mmh... Not really. But I don't want to talk about it."

"Whiskey?" Theo asks and I simply nod in exhaustion. Exhaustion from another disappointment in my life. Will this ever stop?

Just as Theo hands me my drink, I hear the door open behind my back and I close my eyes knowing exactly who just entered the bar.

"I'm genuinely impressed by your speed, princess," Caleb states, casually walking over to me. His eyes fall on the drink in my hand, and he utters a throaty chuckle, "So, you think alcohol helps?"

"What do you want, Caleb?" I huff and down half of my drink, grimacing as the burning liquor runs down my throat.

"Join you," he just replies and then turns to Theo. "Get me a whiskey too."

Theo raises his eyebrows but turns away to get Caleb his drink. Without a word, he hands him the whiskey and then his brown eyes meet mine again.

"Can I leave you alone with this bull?"

"Yes, Theo. I'm fine," I give him a thankful smile before he draws his attention to another customer at the other end of the bar.

"Should we take a seat?" Caleb makes a gesture with his head in the direction of a table near the bar.

I just shrug and sit down.

"Honestly, I don't care. I came here to drown my feelings and to escape my stupid life." I take a gulp of my drink again. "I don't feel like talking, Caleb. Especially not with you."

Caleb lifts his glass to his lips and watches me with amusement dancing in his dark green eyes.

"You know what?" He takes a sip and then licks his thin lips in appreciation. "You're not that vanilla cry baby I thought you were."

Something comes into his mind, and he gets his phone out, typing a quick message. Immediately, a reply comes in.

"Zach?" I ask knowingly and roll my eyes as Caleb nods with an annoyed head shaking.

"This man is such a drama queen," he states, reading the new text.

Without answering, he puts his phone back into his pocket and leans back on his stool.

"What was your visit about, Caleb?" I ask, looking directly into his eyes.

"None of your business." He easily holds my gaze and smirks.

"Listen," I say, putting down my drink and leaning forward. "Either you tell me now, or you leave me alone. I'm bloody serious."

"Shorty is going to kill me if I tell you!" Caleb thinks for a second but then shrugs. "But who cares. I don't believe that keeping everything from you just to protect you is a good idea anyway."

For the first time, I actually like Caleb's attitude. It's easy for me to get some information out of him because he doesn't give a fuck if he's angering Zach or even ruining our relationship with the things he's telling me.

He looks around to see if anybody is listening before turning towards me again.

Moving his head closer, he lowers his voice, "Clarks is still suspecting me."