08| Ghosts from the past

"Are you sure you don't want to stay?" Zach asks me as soon as we finished packing my backpack. He came home after his workday about an hour ago and while having an early dinner I told him that I'd like to go back to my own place today.

"Yes, Zach. I spent the last two nights here and I need some fresh clothes. Besides, I think we should take things a bit slow," I retort and give him an encouraging smile.

Zach leans against the wall in his bedroom and crosses his arms. "Liv, do you have second thoughts?"

I put down my backpack and face Zach. "What?"

"Do you regret giving me another chance?"

Zach's eyes are filled with fear as they rest on me and watch me walking up to him.

"No, I don't regret it." I place my hands on Zach's chest and look up into his vulnerable face. "I'm still not completely over the break-up. It deeply hurt me that you left me after everything what happened, but I also know that you did it because you thought it was the best for me. I suffered very much, and I know you did too. I simply need some time to heal, okay?"

The relief in Zach's face at my words is kind of cute but also shows me how serious he is about us and it warms my heart. Trailing his hands up my arms, he tenderly smiles down at me.

"Okay." He places a soft kiss on my forehead. "Then let me at least bring you home."

"Alright." I stand on my tiptoes to give him a kiss. Just when I'm about to break away again, Zach wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. When he finally lets go of me, I chuckle softly, "Can we go now?"

Zach nods and grabs my backpack. We make our way downstairs and exit the building. The heaven is grey and cloudy and it's freezing cold as we start the ten minutes walk to my place. Thinking about the past two days, I must admit I'm overwhelmed by everything what happened. Being so close to Zach again felt so good and I definitely don't regret it, no I'm happy to have him back, but I also feel quite vulnerable letting him in again. Zach has the power to destroy my heart in a way nobody ever could, and it scares me immensely.

As soon as we arrive at my house, Zach insists carrying my backpack upstairs. After I unlocked the door to my apartment, Zach pulls me into a tight embrace.

"I enjoyed the time with you," he murmurs into my hair.

"Me too," I retort and pull away smiling up at him. "I'll call you."

I give him a gentle peck and then close the door behind me. A little time for myself is exactly what I need right now to clear my head. Deciding to take a bath, I quickly unpack my backpack and get undressed. I add a drop of lavender to my bath before I slide into the soothingly hot water. Immediately, I feel how all the tension leaves my body as soon as the warm water embraces me. Like always, I stay in the bathtub far too long and when I step out of it, my skin is already wrinkly, but I feel wonderfully relaxed. I wrap a towel around my wet hair and slip into my light blue jogging suit.

With a cup of tea and a bag of salt and vinegar chips, I sit down on my sofa and start searching through Netflix. My thoughts wander back to Zach's and my talk about getting a job. I know I need to find myself a job soon, but today I just want to enjoy the evening, watch some mushy movies, and let the newest happenings sink. Just thinking about starting to work as anything I don't like to be gives me a headache. Deciding to push this thought aside for tonight, I start Crazy, Stupid, Love and wrap a blanket around my body.

I'm halfway through the movie when the doorbell rings out. A glance at my phone tells me it's past 8pm. Who could that be at this hour? Maybe Zach? No, I told him I'd like to have some time alone and I know he respects my needs.