25|Waking up

Zach's POV

"I think he's waking up, darling, look!"

Soft fingers graze my cheek, causing a pleasant shiver running through my body, slightly easing the pain in my stomach. My head is pounding like shit, and my eyelids are heavy. No matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to open my eyes.

"I think you're right, mom. Can you get a doctor, please?"

The sound of a familiar voice rises to my ears and sparks the urge to look into this person's face. Light is blinding me as I finally manage to open my eyes and for a moment, I can't see anything.

"Hey," The most beautiful woman I've ever seen is sitting next to my bed, holding my hand, looking at me through her mesmerizing grey-blue eyes. "How are you feeling?"

Frowning, I tilt my head and pensively eye the lovely figure. I know she's familiar to me, but I can't remember who she is.

"Zach?" Her brows furrow and a hint of uncertainty flashes over her face. "Can you hear me?"

I'm about to nod when the door opens and a person wearing a white coat followed by a middle-aged woman with the same grey-blue eyes than the beauty holding my hands enter the room. It's only now that I realize I'm lying in a hospital bed. What the fuck?

"Mr. Wood, I see you're awake," the doctor remarks with a self-importantly expression. "I didn't expect to see you again that soon, actually."

I watch him checking the beeping monitors next to me before he turns towards me and directly stares into my eyes.

"How do you feel? Do you have pains anywhere?" he asks and shines a very bright light into my eyes. I already hate this man.

"Mmh...," I mutter, feeling my hoarse, deep voice scratching in my dry throat. "My head is fucking pounding, and my stomach hurts."

"Alright, the nurse will give you some painkillers," the doctor informs me and then raises his brow, giving me a reproachful look. "You should be more careful, Mr. Wood. You need to take better care of yourself!"

With those words, he exits the room again, leaving me alone with the two women which look so familiar to me, and still, I don't remember from where I know them. Somehow, that feels fucking wrong to me.

"Zach," the tiny voice next to me lets me turn my head in her direction. "What's wrong?"

She strokes her soft hand over my cheeks again while her beautiful eyes never leave mine.

"Uhm... Who... I mean..." I pause, awkwardly biting my bottom lip, "Sorry, but...ehm...where do I know you from?"

I can see the color draining from her face as she pulls away her delicate hand, leaving a weird, empty feeling on my cheek. It's obvious that my words have hurt her and a feeling in my chest tells me I really hate hurting this woman. It's like I feel the pain myself.

"I...I'm Liv. Your girl...friend," she whispers faintly. "Don't you remember?"

Fuck, what is wrong with my head? Why don't I remember this beautiful woman being my girlfriend?

"I...I mean, I kinda remember your face..." I reply, feeling confused as hell. "I just...uh...fuck!"

In that moment, an elderly, friendly smiling nurse enters the room, breaking the tension hanging in the air.

"Mr. Wood, I've got something to stop your pain," she chants, placing two plastic cups on my nightstand, one filled with three pink pills and one with water. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"