14| Jealousy

Trembling like a leaf and petrified, I'm standing in front of my apartment and stare at the note hanging on my door. My heart is thumping wildly against my rib cage and my breathing is shallow.

Ollie, don't hide from me. I'll find you and I won't get off your back until you're listening.
Please, darling, be reasonable!
Love, Dad

Again and again, I read the obviously hastily scribbled down note until the letters become blurry, and I start feeling dizzy. When somebody enters the building, I get snapped out of my trance, quickly grab the crumpled piece of paper, and rush into my apartment.

A weird feeling of sadness, despair, and deep discomfort spreads as I look around in my hallway. The last memories I made in this place were throughout unpleasant and hurtful and I must admit I don't really feel at home here anymore. The place I once loved so much, and which used to be my safe haven doesn't provide the security and warmth anymore like it did before my life became a total mess. To be honest, I feel sort of homeless at the moment. Zach's apartment is nice, and I love it because I'm close to him there, but it's not my home and I don't want to be some kind of eremite, even though I know Zach doesn't see me as one.

Actually, I just came here to grab some stuff while Zach was still at work. When I left his place, I surely didn't expect such a wave of emotions waiting for me.

With a deep sigh, I drag myself into my bedroom where I pack some sportswear and a few more clothes before I get my laptop from the living room. Suddenly, cold fear creeps into my system and captures every inch of my body, making me shudder. What if my father shows up again? Or worse, what if he's hiding somewhere near and already waits to head me off once I leave the house again?

"Get a grip, Olivia!" I tell myself and take a deep breath. I won't give this idiot so much control over my life. Definitely not.

Just as I'm about to zip my duffel bag, something catches my eye. The little notebook I bought shortly before Christmas lies on the coffee table next to the charcoals with which I drew that sketch of Zach. A faint smile plays upon my lips as my mind wanders back to that morning. Zach looked so peaceful and beautiful as he was lying next to me, sleeping soundly, and breathing calmly. I remember exactly the tingle I felt in my fingers in this very moment. The same tingle I know from my teens when I started to explore my drawing passion.

Slowly, but surely, the fear leaves my body again, and I start regaining my inner strength and determination to not let my anxiety suffocate me.

After packing the little notebook and the charcoals into my bag as well, I leave my house and make my way to Zach's place. Every few meters, I warily look behind me in the expectation to spot my father dodging behind a dumpster. The further I go, the faster I get, and when I arrive at Zach's house, I'm a panting mess and bathed in sweat. As fast as I can, I run upstairs and slam the door behind me. The straps of my bag slip out of my hand and it falls to the floor with a thud. All the strength has left my legs by now, so I lean against the door and slowly sink to the ground where I bend my knees and bury my face in my hands, gasping for air.

"Liv?"

My head snaps up and my gaze falls on Zach who obviously just came out of the shower since he's shirtless and has wet hair. His grey sweatpants are hanging low on his hips, perfectly putting his v-shaped muscles on display.

"Hey, Livie!" With big eyes, I stare at Aria, who just appeared next to Zach and looks back at me with a frown. "What are you doing on the floor, darling?"

Darling? She can shove that word right up her sexy ass. I look back and forth between Zach and Aria and swallow hard. What is this woman doing here anyway? And why is Zach half-naked? He could have at least slipped into a t-shirt.