IV

I watch vi on the punching machine. Her score stays top but higher this time. All of the top ten scores are Vi's scores. I cross my arms over my chest and look away as her new score flips onto the board. Powder fixes the target game. I smile and cross over to her and Mylo.

"Remind me why we even bother with this dump?" Mylo whines.

"Vander said to lay low. Enforcers never come down here, so this is as good a place as any." I say.

"What's the matter, Mylo? You worried powder's gonna beat you again?" Claggor teases.

"Hey if she didn't keep fixing these things, I wouldn't keep missing."

Powder hops up behind the counter and plugs it in. The targets pop up and colorful lights flash. Mylo takes a few shots and misses them all.

"You guys know I would never take you on a job I didn't think you could handle, right?" Vi worries.

"Are you kidding? That was the best job we've ever done. Maybe we leave Evelyn to babysit Powder next time." Mylo takes a few more shots and doesn't make one.

Powder cocks her paint gun and aims. She hits every target twice in the head. All bullseyes. I smile at Mylo's shocked face. Powder sets her gun down, satisfied at her job well done.

"Powder beat you again, Mylo." I grin. "Maybe we should give her your gun."

"Ha, Ha. Let's see you do it." Mylo challenges.

"You're on." I smile. Finally, something I'm decent at.

I take powders gun and wait for Mylo to pick his up. I take my stance and aim. I hear someone yell go, and I don't hesitate to fire. My blood rushes in my ears. I smile as Mylo keeps missing. The faces spin as I hit them. By limbs know the motions. I lock on to a target and aim carefully before squeezing the trigger.

"Hey guys, you should see this-"

Powder's voice dies on her lips as a man is thrown through the window. I crouch and cover my head as glass flies. The man crashes a few feet from me. I peer through the glass and see enforcers.

"Search them."

"Shit" I mutter.

"What did you say about no enforcers coming down here?"

"Shut up, Mylo."

The enforcers begin walking inside. The glass crunches beneath their boots as they walk to each one of us.

"Good luck losers, we've got nothing," Mylo says.

I look at powder. Her hand hovers by her pocket, glowing pocket. The gemstones. We share a look before an enforcer comes to stand in front of me, blocking my view. I look at Vi, pleading that she understands. She looks at Claggor.

The lights go dark. Neon glow in the dark paint glows on the ceiling and targets. Mylo shoots the enforcers with paintballs that do nothing. Vi throws the punching machine's painted face plate at the enforcers, knocking them to the ground.

I kick the enforcer in front of me in the gut. She bends over and coughs. I slam my elbow down on her skull and she sprawls across the ground. I sprint to a cowering powder.

"Stop! Get them!" the enforces yell as we run.

I follow Powder through the paintball targets. An enforcer grabs Powder. I scramble back and powder presses a button that clamps his arm down. He screams in pain as I snatch Powder's arm. Vi joins us and guides us to the back door. We run back to an alleyway. Vi stops us with an arm, enforcers block the alley on both sides.