III

"You did what!" Mylo screams at Powder.

"I'm sorry. I tried to fight him off with mouser but...she didn't work."

"Who saw that coming?"

"We never should have gone over there," Claggor says.

"Doesn't matter. The stuff's gone." Vi says. "It's alright Powder, at least you're okay."

"Okay? I get my face bashed in and she just gets a pass?" Mylo complains.

"Hush, Mylo. It was an honest mistake." I glare at him.

"You're one to talk, what is this the millionth time Vi has had to save your ass." Mylo puts a finger in my chest.

"I didn't—I couldn't,"

"You're the oldest, your supposed to have our asses."

"And powders the youngest, you should have her ass." Vi cuts in.

We crowd in the elevator. Vi pulls the lever and we begin our descent into the undercity.

"Every time Evelyn and Powder come the job goes wrong. They jinx every job."

"Powder isn't a jinx, Mylo."

"Evelyn is," Mylo mutters, glaring my way.

"And you're an Ass." I snarl.

I pull my black hood over my chin length purple hair. I cross my arms over my chest and watch the green glow on the undercity light up our faces. Levels of alleys and bridges wind around the city. As soon as I step off the elevator, my lungs fight for breath. The thick smog suffocates you, topsiders have it nice.

We pass plenty of odd shops before finding the bar The Last Drop, our home. I wrap my arms around one another and wish I opted for long sleeves today. I hide the bruises blooming over the skin with my hands as best I can. I wipe the blood from my mouth and throw open the door.

We walk inside and see the tables full. The air is full of chatter and life. I look to the bar where Vander watches us. I can see the concern turn to the accusation as his gaze passes from Vi to me. We push our way through the crowd to the back room.

"Vander learns none of this." Vi plops down on the sofa.

"No worries there, powder took care of the evidence, thanks to Evelyn."

"How is it my fault?"

"You gave her the damn bag."

"I—"

"I tried okay, you don't get it. You're all older and bigger. It - it isn't fair." Powder attempts to defend herself.

"So stick with us, take a punch or two."

The stairs creek and Vander stands at the door. Everyone looks down. I sit next to Powder and bring my legs to my chest.

"Everyone alright?" Vander asks.

"Never better," Mylo says with a sigh.

"Good, I don't suppose you can explain why it is I'm hearing about an explosion and a foot chase topside? Five children fleeing the scene." Vander looks at me. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"That we can handle a real job," Vi says.

"I'm asking Evelyn."

"I'm sorry, I thought we could pull it off and you wouldn't find out about it till we gave you the cash." My voice shakes.

"You blew up a building!" He yells now. "Did you even stop to think about what could have happened to them?"

"I'm sorry," I say in a small voice.