Chapter 34

One week later, instead of holding Emma's funeral, it was my parents instead.

Kasumi, Satoru, and Aki sat down while a monk sent out prayers toward Mr.Okimoto and Mrs. Okimoto.

Among the crowds, there are members of Toman, Hina, Naoto, Satoru's teammates and former teammates, Aki's friends, and a few teachers and neighbors.

" Kasumi, please come with me," aunt Kathy whispered and walked out of the room, but turned around to see Satoru stopping Kasumi.

" Don't go. You can talk to her after burying mom and dad," Satoru replied.

Kasumi didn't say anything and sat down.

.

.

.

Alone, in her darkroom, Kasumi sat in front of a mirror.

Aunt Kathy is Satoru and Aki's aunt. Kasumi has no one related to her since both of her parents were the only child in the family, and both of her grandparents die before she was born. The only family she has left was from her stepfamily. However, she never had a close relationship with them.

Around 2 hours earlier

It was a reunion party for Kuroko's family; Satoru and Aki family.

Kasumi sat down on the chair; listen to what her step-cousins were talking about. She felt like she's being left out; since no one pay any attention to her. She tried to jump in one of the conversations but she was ignored.

Satoru came to the table and took Kasumi to where Aki was.

" I know it's tough. But you still have both of us," Aki smiled and gave her a slice of cake.

Kasumi happily accepted.

After a few minutes, Satoru and Aki were taken away to take a group family photo. Kasumi was left out again. She gave up and decided to stay in her room.

I can't blame them...since I'm not blood-related and the marriage between dad and stepmom was a secret from them...

.

.

.

Satoru and Aki unlocked Kasumi's room and saw her sleeping on the floor.

Satoru lifted her and place her on her bed. Before both of them can walk away, Kasumi woke up and told them to stay with her.

Satoru and Aki nodded and climb onto the bed and sleep beside her. She hugged them tightly before going to sleep.

Satoru was the only one awake after one hour.

" This is just so messed up," Satoru said as he caressed Kasumi's hair.

Flashback

" What?!! You got to be kidding. Kasumi is a part of our family. She's our stepsister," Aki shouted.

" Aki's right. You can't just leave her at an orphanage," Satoru said.

" Look, we're a poor family. We can't afford to take care of one more child. I'm sure she'll be happy without us," Aunt Cathy explained.

" What do you mean we can't afford. There are so many siblings and cousins in the family...but we can't afford to add one more child?" Satoru replied.

" Satoru....our family is still in a financial crisis. It will be better for Kasumi to not face the same problem as us. Once she goes to the orphanage that Takara own, she will find new opportunity there," Mrs. Kuroko (Satoru and Aki's grandmother) said.