26 | THE DRESS

The boys all find the idea quite incredible. We pile into two cars. The fiancés in one, the complicated couples in the other. Meaning Nick, Karl and Alex in one car; Clay, George and I in the other.

Nick follows Clay in his car to his parent's house. It's been awhile since I've been inside his parent's house. I haven't seen his siblings in ages. I haven't seen his dad in an even longer time. I wonder if when I walk in if I'll be welcomed with open arms as I've always been. His siblings aren't the youngsters they used to be. Honestly, it's early in the day, they might still be at school. They don't defy their parents like Clay has. They are good children and good to school.

"George how do you feel about meeting your mother-in-law in person?" I joke as I look into the back of the car. Despite George's arrival Clay doesn't function without me next to him. He still needs me there beside him if I'm in reach.

"All mothers love me." George says cockily. I'm sure they do. I roll my eyes at his response letting out a little self-held chuckle.

We pull up to Clay's parent's house and I feel a bit of nerves hit my stomach. I know that this is one step closer to seeing my parents again. It's been over a decade since I've seen their faces. I've honestly forgotten what they've looked like. If you asked me to describe them. I don't think id be able to. Not in detail.

I can't close my eyes and see them anymore. It's a bit of just blank space. It's just me alone. Because it's all I've known for over half of my life. If I picture a parent it's... Clay's parents. Not my own. And that's heart breaking to admit. Even when my grandma took me in, Clay's parents were still more my parents than she was. She was too gone and out to be a parent.

Everyone heads inside together. I stand back with Clay and Nick to let his friends have their fair time with meeting his mom. She's the only one home. She's got a plate of cookies baked for us to take home with us, or eat along the way. I know Clay won't be reaching so more for me. I'll snack on the cookies. He can keep his olives to himself. Freak.

The meeting goes really well. I mean, I didn't expect it to go any differently honestly. His friends are welcoming and easy to get along with. And his mother is the same way.

"Do you have the keys mom?" I walked over to her after the initial meeting slowly disperses out into distant conversations.

She hands me the keys to the storage lockers and I clutch them tightly in my hands. "You doing okay sweetheart?"

"Yeah." I smile as she pulls me into her with one arm. "Despite everything I'm just feeling pretty lucky right now. I got some great friends." I look at the group of boys crowded on a three seater couch.

"You've always been great at reading someone's character. Always been an observer and a quiet soul. You are the perfect off balance to that." Clay's mom directs her attention to the boys.

"They are pretty crazy. I don't know how I do it." I shake my head. "But I do because one of them can be worth it sometimes." I laugh a little.

Clay's mom bumps her shoulder into mine. She knows I'm talking about her son. "I think all of them are worth it to you. You've grown so much since you've gained all of them. They are all a part of you hon." She smiles down at me.

"Babe!" Clay yells and reaches for me.

"Isn't there enough people on that couch?" I chuckle as I walk away from Clay's mom and towards the boys sat on the couch. Clay grabs my hands as I reach out to meet his.

He pulls me towards him and I fall chest first into him but don't collapse into his lap. "Baby." I giggle at his sudden pull of me into him. "We are going to break your mom's couch."