23 | NICK'S SECRET

Clay and I get woken the next day to a house more rowdy than normal. I don't just hear the voices of my familiars. There is more. Not just Nick. Not just George. There is more people here. My heart begins to race as I shake Clay awake. He startles at my touch but instantly questions what's wrong.

"Who is here?" My eyes carry my worry. I know by the way his hand reaches up slowly to caress my cheek. I know by the way his eyes trace my worry. Reading every emotion running through me. Taking a few seconds to sit in his thoughts, to take in my thoughts, before responding.

"Nick said Karl was coming into town so I'm going to assume Karl's here." Clay stretches as he sits up to place a kiss to my lips. A short and sweet one to calm my nerves.

"Karl?" I question excitedly. "Karl's here?" I question again about jumping off the bed and running out of Clay's room. I here him laugh behind me but it takes him a few minutes to depart his room.

"Karl?" I yell down the hall as I run. I don't care about my disheveled appearance. He's seen me worse than this. He's seen me a teared up mess. He's seen me down and out. He's seen every bit of me so there is no reason to fix myself.

"Do I hear a buttercup calling my name?" I hear Karl's voice say and I practically jump into his arms. Don't let Clay see this. He might get jealous.

He's been working on his jealousy but fuck. If he saw me jump into Karl's arms I think he might have an actual heart attack. I'm thankful he's lagging behind. Poor sleepy boy and his needs to sleep naked. Then again, I've been in the half naked state with him before. Skin to skin is just better sometimes.

"Karl Jacobs." I smile as I finally step back and look at the boy, George, Clay and I had yet to meet in person. "No one told me you were coming. What the fuck Nick." I look towards him and see another boy I've seen many of times. I'm not close with him but I instantly clam up and fold in on myself.

"Babes, Alex, Alex... uh well, you can come up with your own name to call her." Nick chuckles as Clay enters the room.

"As long as it's not babe." Clay knocks Nick upside the head. He still hates that Nick calls me it to piss him off. But I kind of love it if I'm honest. I like to see Clay tinge with a bit of anger. His jaw tenses in just the slightest. Fuck, it's hot.

"Welcome Q. Welcome Karl." Clay pulls his friends into hugs and I drop myself onto the couch. The distance I create between myself and Alex is unsettling. I know Alex. I've spoken to Alex. He's literally part of the close group these boys have made. But I've not been to that level with him yet.

I pull at the hood on my sweatshirt and pull the strings tight. I'm doing everything to hide this side of me. I don't want Clay's friends to see me as unkept. I want to be put together and whole. I know Clay sees my uncomfortableness but can't do anything about it. He's caught up in conversation while I sink my way into the couch.

Thankfully, I steal Patches. Our girl power is overtaken by the overwhelming amount of testosterone roaming through this house. She curls up in my lap and I spend the next hour staring at her, petting her until my fears get pulled away by the sound of Clay addressing me.

"Hmm?" I look up from my pouty position and stop my pets with my furry friend.

"Come." Clay motions to himself, who's curled up on the other end of the couch. I follow his command like a puppy dog. I come out of my cocoon and round the living room and plop down in his lap.

Clay puts his lips to my ear and whispers, "Shower time?"

I look at his friends. Blush hits my cheeks in a bright shade of red and I'm beyond grateful when I see all of them in deep conversation with each other. This boy is literally trying to kill me today. Not telling me about his friends coming. Embarrassing me like this. He's going to have a price to pay.