He had to restrain himself from picking one up and petting it. It was hard to look away from the cuties and continue walking with Hotaru. She gestured toward the table, "here it is.".

"Thank you," Hotaru says, taking a seat.

Nox hesitates before he takes a seat as well. His eyes roam the entire establishment.

"Would you like the usual?" The woman asks, looking down at her notepad.

At the same moment that a cat jumps onto her lap, Hotaru nods. The cat was white, like Loki. The woman nods and leaves. While scratching its chin, it purred and she smiled. It licked her fingers and rubbed against her.

Nox was stunned, not sure if he was supposed to be there. There was something stoic about her like she was unbothered by anything. Still, it was strange to see her like this now, even though they'd only known each other for less than a day.

She moves a strand of hair from her face and looks up at a Nox. "Not your type of place?" She questions.

He looks down at a tabby cat pawing at his leg. "Something like that," He grunts, desperately wanting to bury his face in the fluffy fur. As a result of the cats' smell, Nox began to relax, which was not good since he was working. In addition, the cats' smell did nothing to drown out Hotaru's scent.

The maid soon came back, holding a tray of many sweets.

Nox mentally growls. It's a good thing he ate something before he came here. Even though it was only a few hours ago, he hoped that it would sustain him for the rest of the day. The maid places the food on the table.

 The maid places the food on the table

Why was this Alpha torturing him?!

"Enjoy your food," she says before walking away to other customers.

Nox wanted to huff, but the tabby cat suddenly bit at his pants. Nox stared at the cat in frustration. He should growl at it. However, he found himself rubbing its belly with his Oxford shoe instead. As it rolled over, he heard it purring.

As he continues to pat the fluffy belly with his soft hands, Nox's eyes unintentionally soften and his posture relaxes slightly.

♦♦♦

Hotaru noticed this and raised an eyebrow, wondering what was under the table. He suddenly looked completely oblivious to everything around him— he looked, "cute." Hotaru found herself whispering. After catching herself, her eyes widened. Surprised by her own words, Nox, not even seeming to hear her.

Something about him made Hotaru's Alpha crave him. They had only met today, and he was a walking mystery. The man was always stiff and never relaxed; she couldn't tell what he was thinking.

So far, he hadn't treated her like the others usually did. He seemed to actually be avoiding her, which confused her even more.

He was so distant, which made sense. They were strangers and he was her bodyguard— but why did her Alpha want her to know everything about him? It wasn't just her Alpha, Hotaru herself wanted to know more. The file wasn't enough, she needed to know everything about him.