Chapter 4: Reunion

Start from the beginning

"Who told you to wait?" Aurora asked.

"My lady...the Queen," Mara replied. "She does not like to be disobeyed by her servants."

Scotty ground out, "You are not her servant."

"I am her waiting woman. She took me in after my ship crashed. I have no family, no home," Mara said.

"What did they do to her?" Scotty whispered in anguish.

Aurora laid a comforting hand on his arm. "Nothing she cannot overcome, given time, and handled gently. Be patient, Captain."

Scotty swallowed his anger with difficulty, and smiled at Mara. "Hey, Mara, I know you're confused, but it's all right. We kinda grew up together, even if you don't remember. You do have a family, and I'm part of it, and we want you back. I'm sure the Queen will understand. Let's go find her and ask her to release you from service."

"She...she said enemies would come...try to trick me...use me against her," Mara said, shifting a little further from them. "You did something to the guards."

"We only put them to sleep for a moment. We did not know they were your friends," Aurora said. "They will wake and be well."

"How do I know that?" Mara challenged. "I think you are here to kidnap me." Some of the old fire flashed in her eyes.

Scotty grinned. "Yeah, I'd like to see that! C'mon, Mara, nobody kidnaps you, remember? You're the Guardian!"

"The what? You make no sense."

Aurora said, "Captain, she does not remember who she is. Therefore she cannot remember what she can do. I suggest we not force her to recall her powers until she recalls her loyalties."

"Uh, yeah," Scotty agreed. "Well, what do you think?"

Aurora raised an eyebrow. "We haven't time for a lengthy debate. And we cannot prove we are not the Queen's enemies; it is logically impossible to prove a negative. Therefore—"

"Right," Scotty said. He got to his feet and sprang for Mara, catching her in a firm grip and hoisting her over his shoulder. She kicked him soundly, but the armor shielded him, and she was the one who cried out in pain. "Mara, stop that! You'll only hurt yourself!"

"To the capsule," Aurora said, putting her helmet back on. "I've got the map." She stooped to pick up Scotty's helmet and carried it in her other hand, since he couldn't put it on while carrying Mara.

She started toward the doorway where the guards still lay unconscious, and Scotty followed, staggering slightly as Mara's struggles impeded his progress. "Stop that or I'll stun you," he growled at her.

"Help! Help me! I'm being kidnapped!" she shrieked as they passed the guards.

"Bloody hell," Scotty swore in English. He let go of Mara, and she tumbled to the ground. Before she could get up, he drew his stunner and fired, and she crumpled into an unconscious heap.

Aurora sighed. "Perhaps it is better so, but I wish it had not been necessary."

"Is this your first kidnapping?" he asked, grinning wryly up at her as he lifted Mara's limp form.

"Yes." She moved to fit his helmet back on. "I take it you are more accustomed to this procedure."

"Not a bit," he grinned. "Let's go." He shifted Mara's dead weight on his shoulder. "Oof. D'you think she'll ever forgive me?"

Aurora surprised him with a chuckle. "From what I have heard, Captain, she has forgiven you much worse."

"Well, that's true, I guess," Scotty said cheerfully. "And Tirq and Rina didn't see it, so—" He broke off as the tactical interface popped up on the inside of his faceplate. "Somebody's coming."

"We had better get out of this corridor," Aurora agreed. "There is a junction ahead. We can make it if we hurry."

They quickened their pace, but it wasn't long before they could make out a group of figures ahead, blocking their path. Their tactical displays indicated a group behind them, and groups approaching along the intersecting corridor as well.

"I think we're surrounded," Scotty said. "Got any ideas?"

"Shoot our way through," Aurora replied. "On stun, of course."

"Of course. I'll take the rear, you take the lead."

Aurora hesitated. "Do you think they might negotiate?"

"No," Scotty said. "Not unless they've changed a whole lot."

"Well then," Aurora said, "ever forward!"

"I'll call for reinforcements," Scotty said. But before he could switch channels, Aurora doubled over with a cry of pain. "Aurora!"

He looked frantically around, clearing the tactical display for a moment so he could see his surroundings more easily. His gaze fell on Varla, and he had time to think only, That can't be who I think it is—

Then he fell to the ground beside Aurora, Mara sprawling on top of them both to form an inanimate heap.